How to export lap data overlay to superimpose on GoPro video

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

How to export lap data overlay to superimpose on GoPro video

Post by Charlesbusa »

The video is shot with GoPro.
The lap data was recorded on my iPhone 4.

I was able to export lap data via email from my phone to be used in Google Earth as a .kml file. But this is not the overlay I want to superimpose on the video.

I would like to export the overlay that has the speeds and a track map with the moving location dot.

How do I export the overlay?

Will it work with final cut pro X?

Or will it only work with that DashWare software?

Thanks,
Charles
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to export lap data overlay to superimpose on GoPro v

Post by Harry »

Hi Charles,

Overlays are not exported, but added to videos by LapTimer. So to use the standard overlay, you need to transfer your goPro video to your iPhone, select your lap, add the video and align it, and overlay it here. As an alternative, you can export all data needed for overlay to the CSV format, transfer it to your PC, and use a software like Dashware to overlay your video here. For more information, please visit http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Video.html

- Harry

P.S. Moved to "Using LapTimer"
Image Image Image Image
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Charlesbusa »

Ok, thanks! I having a tough time transferring my GoPro video to my iPhone. I think it's because the resolution needs to be reduced from 1920X1080 to 1280X720 because of IPhone4 limitations.

I emailed dashware on what kind of resolution the finished video with the overlay can be. I am hoping it is 1920X1080.

Last question, dashware only needs the .csv file to overlay the track map with the location dot and the speeds?

Thanks Harry!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, the CSV is all you need. Dashware requires the latest mapping template to be installed to process the new CSV format introduced with LapTimer v16. There have been reports you need to disable semicolons as separators during import, please search this forum on this.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Charlesbusa »

Thanks, hopefully its not too hard to figure out!
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Charlesbusa »

OK, got my IPhone4 to overlay the data. It was complicated.
First I had to take my 1920X1080 GoPro video footage and reduce the resolution to 960X540 because ITunes won't take a res any higher than that.
Then I had to convert the wmv file(I used Live Movie Maker to reduce video res) to a .m4v because ITunes won't take a .wmv.
Then finally it was in ITunes and I could sync it into my IPhone4.
Harry's Lap Timer Pro app overlayed the data on the video.
And I copied the new video file, now a .mov and res also crushed to a 640X480, to my PC. I guess that's the best the IPhone4 can do is 640X480.
Here's the result, keep in mind that my IPhone has a slow GPS refresh so start point, finish point and speeds are off. Speeds actually way off, LOL! I need to get an external antenna with a faster refresh rate.

Feel free to offer solutions that would have resulted in a better finished video. My first try.

http://youtu.be/dDI_oLX0EFU
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Charlesbusa »

I'm thinking about trying DashWare to overlay data. But I want to ensure DashWare will export the finished video in 1920X1080 before buying it for $50. On the trial version, the ouput settings do not specify resolution. They say wmv HD large file or m4v HD large file. I wish it'd just specidy 1920X1080 or 1280 X720.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Charlesbusa wrote:OK, got my IPhone4 to overlay the data. It was complicated.
First I had to take my 1920X1080 GoPro video footage and reduce the resolution to 960X540 because ITunes won't take a res any higher than that.
Then I had to convert the wmv file(I used Live Movie Maker to reduce video res) to a .m4v because ITunes won't take a .wmv.
And I copied the new video file, now a .mov and res also crushed to a 640X480, to my PC. I guess that's the best the IPhone4 can do is 640X480.
Here's the result, keep in mind that my IPhone has a slow GPS refresh so start point, finish point and speeds are off. Speeds actually way off, LOL! I need to get an external antenna with a faster refresh rate.

Feel free to offer solutions that would have resulted in a better finished video. My first try.

Hi,

Some comments:
  • are you on the latest version of iTunes and iOS? iTunes definitively allows video transfer for 1920x1080 - all iPhone4S / 5 videos are that size (using encoding H.264)
  • as long as you use the internal GPS and have very dynamic speeds (like on a motorbike), try LT's Expert Setting / GPS Tweaks / Speed / Calculated
  • as lateral acceleration gets nulled by the lean angle, recalculate lateral acceleration from GPS (button in Lap Details)
Nice video nevertheless :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Charlesbusa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Charlesbusa »

Harry wrote:
Charlesbusa wrote:OK, got my IPhone4 to overlay the data. It was complicated.

Hi,

Some comments:
  • are you on the latest version of iTunes and iOS? iTunes definitively allows video transfer for 1920x1080 - all iPhone4S / 5 videos are that size (using encoding H.264)
  • as long as you use the internal GPS and have very dynamic speeds (like on a motorbike), try LT's Expert Setting / GPS Tweaks / Speed / Calculated
  • as lateral acceleration gets nulled by the lean angle, recalculate lateral acceleration from GPS (button in Lap Details)
Nice video nevertheless :-)

- Harry
Thanks! I'll have to try the h.264 encoding and see what happens.

I'll have to research the LT's expert setting. Any links to a good thread are appreciated.

And I'll look for that null lean angle in lap details.

Thanks Harry!!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Expert Settings should be used on advice by the programmer only ;-) Search for "Expert Settings" here on the forum, but please do not change anything unless it is advised / makes a lot of sense. It is easy to screw up operation by changing values here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image