orientation - phone mount in motorcycle tail

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Engenia
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

orientation - phone mount in motorcycle tail

Post by Engenia »

Hello Harry,
I need to mount the phone in the tail of my track bike & when installed, I can't see the screen, so following calibration instructions on screen will be impossible.
The top of the screen will point towards the rear & will be inclined 20 degrees from the horizontal, as shown in the picture above
Yaw & roll will be zero.
The remote GPS will be permanently mounted horizontally just above & to the rear of the phone.

Is there a way to set up HLT in this configuration using a preset, without the need for individual calibration?
regards
Errol
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: orientation - phone mount in motorcycle tail

Post by Harry »

Hello,

When using the motorbike preset, this mounting position will result in flipped longitudinal acceleration. I'd suggest to use that preset nevertheless: you can flip acceleration by dimension after the fact. To do this, select laps one by one and follow Data Recordings / Charts / G-G-Diagram. You will find the flip buttons here.

Measuring acceleration forces for a motorbike is a sensible thing. In case the above approach doesn't work, you will be able to derive acceleration data from GPS too. To do this, select laps again and follow Fixes. In the second button in the bottom, you will find an option to calculate acceleration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Engenia
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Engenia »

Thanks Harry,
I noticed in Settings/Expert Settings/Accelerator Tweaks, two checkbox entries - Reverse Lateral Acceleration & Reverse Longitudinal Acceleration. With them unchecked in the tail position, the acceleration view showed expected values as if it were travelling backwards. Checking both seemed to correct the accelerations.
Are these valid settings for the tail position?
Should I just check Reverse Longitudinal Acceleration?
Or are there other consequences?
regards
Errol
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I forgot about these Expert Settings :-) Yes, they were introduced exactly for this situation.
Image Image Image Image
Engenia
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Engenia »

Would I check both Reverse Lateral Acceleration & Reverse Longitudinal Acceleration
or just Reverse Longitudinal Acceleration?
regards
Errol
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I think both need to be ticked. Left / right is flipped too in your setup.
Image Image Image Image