Amateur 6H endurance racing

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
atmosx
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Amateur 6H endurance racing

Post by atmosx »

Greetings,

I am currently utilizing Harry's LapTimer for telemetry purposes with my iPhone, GoPro 4, DUAL XGPS 160 (SKY PRO), and GoPoint's BT1A. We are preparing to participate in a 6-hour amateur race and I am looking to enhance our setup.

As it is a weekend, we will have practice sessions on Saturday and the race on Sunday. I plan to use the GoPro during Saturday's sessions, but 6 hours is too long to continuously film on Sunday. However, telemetry data would be beneficial.

Is there a way to configure HLT to transmit data to another device located in the pit box? This would allow for the team to monitor the car's telemetry.

Additionally, is it possible to communicate with the pit box using pre-defined messages such as "next round coming for refill" or "brakes degrading"?

Furthermore, I am interested in improving our OBD telemetry. It appears that the BT1A only sends data once per second, which is not sufficient for smooth display of metrics such as revs. This results in poor quality when reviewing the video later on. My understanding is that most OBDs for iPhone can only send data twice per second at maximum, which is not ideal.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amateur 6H endurance racing

Post by Harry »

Hello,

We get requests on driver / pit communication from time to time. 99% of LapTimer users use to record data and video and share / analyze that data when back at home. This means adding this type of racing team support is rather custom development and not prioritized for product development because of this.

The only feature falling into this area is LapTimer's Online view. A pit member running Petrolhead or GrandPrix on a pad or smartphone can monitor lap times and the position on track of a driver. That's certainly not what you are asking for.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
atmosx
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by atmosx »

Okay, thanks for the prompt reply.
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

Have a look at the RaceCapture stuff (https://www.autosportlabs.com/).

It may have what you want ... and you can use it with Harry's LapTimer.
#;-)