No data overlay

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

No data overlay

Post by Chad-1stgen »

I started using the app again at my last race due to unreliable gps data in my gorpro 8.

I tried to overlay a video tonight and it’s not working. First I screwed up by accidentally linking the lap to the wrong video. I used the edit lap to remove that video and add the correct video. I then had to try and synchronize the lap manually. However now when I use the overlay command it produces a video in my photos app with no data overlay. Also if I play the video from within the lap it doesn’t show data.

The laps do have data and I can view the charts fine.

Help?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No data overlay

Post by Harry »

The video is from an external source and you use an iPhone? The problem might be around the pixel format used - not all encodings can be overlaid by LapTimer. I recall this problem for some more sophisticated GoPro settings. The reason you do not get the overlay when for real time overlays is probably that you (unsuccessfully) overlaid the video to Photos already: once you do that, the overlaid video is played instead of playing the original one and faking the overlay on top. To use real time overlaying, press the Original button to link the original video to the lap and press Play. You should the an overlaid video now.

To fix the overlay problem, you need to decode / encode the video with an external video editor. I used Handbrake/ffmpeg for this. Make sure the conversion takes long - this is an indication frames are really decoded / encoded instead of being just resorted.

Harry
Image Image Image Image