Transfer from Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S10e

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
SQD-elsquid
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Transfer from Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S10e

Post by SQD-elsquid »

I've been using HLT for quite a while on my old Galaxy S5. It has overheated many times, battery bulged, something in the microSD slot is damaged and it won't utilize microSD cards any more - it's in bad shape. I've created backups before, but it's been several months since I did. In the past, I exported to my google drive and that went fine. Now, when I try to do that, it crashes after a few seconds or a minute or two during the initial "creating export files" stage. It does this every time, and no amount of reloading, powering off, etc has helped. If I try to export a track day or whole track worth of data to .hlptrl, same thing. If I export just a lap or two, it will export, but I'm not terribly interested in trying to save hundreds of files individually to capture the data. The phone has storage space; it's really the only thing on the phone these days.

I have local backups on the phone. So there's that. I can't create external backup because it requires file conversion and it crashes during that process just like the above.

I did managed to export the database as a zip file, which is much smaller than the DB file (~88MB vs 450MB), but I can't use that or open with HLT because it says the file selected cannot be processed by this application. The zip file is made up of thousands of .pdb files, but the new phone won't let me associate that with HLT either.

Questions-
Can I use the DB zip file with HLT somehow? And how please? Or will loading the LapTimerDB.pdb file cause the rest of the .pdb files to import properly?
Will it be missing any data from my laps?
Is there a workaround or just other method to get the database off of my old phone since it doesn't seem to want to export it without crashing?

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transfer from Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S10e

Post by Harry »

LapTimer's database is made up from a set of .pdb file internally. This path is used for repair actions by the developer and there is no standard import process for end-users. In case you have access to LapTimer's sandbox directory (rooted smartphone), you can place a complete set of .pdb files in that sandbox. LapTimer will access them as the current database when on the top most directory level of the sandbox and present them as a local backup in case they sit in a properly named subdirectory.

The root problem will be some data corruption for some laps. Including this laps into an export will crash LapTimer. In case you can identify them, you are probably able to work around. You can narrow this down by grouping laps by e.g. the year and start with exporting years one by one. In a next step you can group by session or track day and export these.

You can run a Check Data too. This should fix data corruption but may result in purged lap details too. As long as you have a raw backup and access to the sandbox, you can return to an older version.

Finally, in case you can't make it work, you can use the Raw Database export and send it to me. Please add a reference to this thread or describe the problem and how I can reproduce it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
SQD-elsquid
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Transfer from Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S10e

Post by SQD-elsquid »

Thanks Harry, got it done. It did say it found 10 issues and repaired; hopefully all of the data is in okay, but overall it shows the same number of laps and same disk size as before, and just a cursory look at the lap list looks okay.

Just a note as ES Explorer is no longer available on Android play store. Android still won't recognize and allow opening the hlptrz file natively, but Solid Explorer worked fine for me and seems to be a simple and intuitive solution.