Questions about OBDLink adapters

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Questions about OBDLink adapters

Post by AIR003 »

Hi Harry,
I'm considering getting an OBD sensor for HLT. I'm going to choose from OBDLink series based on availability at my location. Here are my two questions on this:
1. I'm using external GPS senser via bluetooth (SkyPro XGPS160). If I connetct the OBD sensor using bluetooth also, will they work at the same time? And how about the performance, since both devices have relatively high update rates? If the performance will be reduced, I'll abandon OBD sensor with no hesitation because an accurate time and position is far more important.
2. I browsed the offical website of OBDLink, and some posts on HLT forum and found that MX+ and LX has the same performance on HLT. The additional and extended function of MX+ will not be used by HLT currently. But it seems that LX cannot work with iOS devices. So how about CX? I also found it in the supported sensor list in HLT. Since it's more budget-friendly, how about it's performace when used with HLT on track?

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about OBDLink adapters

Post by Harry »

For Android, I'd recommend the LX. For iOS, I recommend the CX. The LX is faster than the CX, but the CX works for both iOS and Android.
One can connect multiple BT device. However, they all share the same bandwidth. While using the SkyPro plus a CX will usually work, every added BT connection increases the chance of conflicts.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:01 pm For Android, I'd recommend the LX. For iOS, I recommend the CX. The LX is faster than the CX, but the CX works for both iOS and Android.
One can connect multiple BT device. However, they all share the same bandwidth. While using the SkyPro plus a CX will usually work, every added BT connection increases the chance of conflicts.

- Harry
Thank you Harry!
The further question is how big is the gap between the performance of CX and MX+ on iOS when working with HLT? I read the OBDLink offical website and the CX was described as a BimmerCode thing. Does the update rate of CX meet the need on track? I'm not a professional player, but just want to improve my skills.

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The speed limit for the CX is defined by BT LE. All BT LE adapters using the ELM327 protocol achieve the same max speed - which is around 8 Hz. The MX+ is faster when used for Android, but plays in the same league like the CX when used with iOS. This seems to be due to the Mfi integration.
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:17 am The speed limit for the CX is defined by BT LE. All BT LE adapters using the ELM327 protocol achieve the same max speed - which is around 8 Hz. The MX+ is faster when used for Android, but plays in the same league like the CX when used with iOS. This seems to be due to the Mfi integration.
Looks like CX is fine for me when working with iOS. I don't need the advanced OEM function for Ford and GM.
Thank you Harry! This does save some money for a CX instead of a MX+.