Ignoring BLE Sensors (in favor of internal sensors)

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
the_real_hova
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Ignoring BLE Sensors (in favor of internal sensors)

Post by the_real_hova »

I recently had issues with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) sensors overriding internal phone (or no sensors), or so I think. While researching before posting this, I have found the expert setting to not connect to BLE; but I still this Harry's should work if for example I have a BLE ODB but no external GPS.

But I'm still curious, are BLE automatically used in favor of internal phone sensors even if I didn't add that sensor? Is there a way to ignore a sensor (long press did nothing)?

To avoid x/y problem, does Harry's not use BLE unless requested and this was an issue with a new phone? I recently moved Harry's to a Google Pixel 6a (after 2 good years on a Pixel 4a and 2 years on a Pixel 2XL with Harry's before that) and this was my first outing with this phone.

Full context:

I was having some external sensor issues (not related to Harry's) on day 1, so I was using phone sensors. Most laps are missing 20-60s of GPS data. I observed a lot of BLE connections in the pit (RaceBox, Kiwi, etc), and I know at least two of these devices were on track at the same. Here's a screenshot with missing and noisy GPS data: https://imgur.com/a/dMnAimy. Sadly, I've already deleted these long 14 minute laps that never triggered a finish line crossing (I've had database failures from long laps before).

I don't think the phone GPS was loosing satellites. The phone is in open sky [example]or under a soft top example and previous phones have always worked without an external GPS.

Day 2 I had my external GPS and OBD working and Harry's was working great. This makes me point to BLE or internal sensor issues.

I am using the Grand Prix version.

Cheers and thanks for making a great app!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ignoring BLE Sensors (in favor of internal sensors)

Post by Harry »

Hello,

To start with, LapTimer always prioritizes external sensors over internal sensors. Sensor connection is designed to be convenient - which means that LapTimer tries to connect to whatever it finds. BT LE devices do not need a pairing like BT SPP does. So BT LE devices are connected whenever they are found. In case you are in a BT LE polluted area, you can turn that feature off in Expert Settings. I consider options to disable sensor types individually and lock to specific devices currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
the_real_hova
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Ignoring BLE Sensors (in favor of internal sensors)

Post by the_real_hova »

Thanks for the explanation Harry. It sounds like this is WAI (working as intended) and I had bad luck still sustaining the BLE connection on the track.
Harry wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:40 pm I consider options to disable sensor types individually and lock to specific devices currently.
That would be perfect! But until I have a BLE of my own, I'll simply leave it disabled in expert options.