Easiest and/or best gopro version?

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
nineball
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Easiest and/or best gopro version?

Post by nineball »

current specs: iphone X, petrolhead edition, hero3 silver

it's time for me to upgrade my camera and i'm looking for feedback on which version would be the easiest to use with the app, or the best to use with the app or some mix of both. i could never get my 3 to work properly so i had to rely on my phone cam, which is a great cam if i am holding it but not so good mounted in my car on the track. i see they are up to the 9 now so there are at least 6 levels of upgrade over what i currently have (and probably more if they are still doing variants within the same model). i'd like the ability to run more than 1 cam at a time if i can. ideally i would like to have at least 3 running, 4 would be even better, if that is an option but two would suffice.

i took this year off because, well, ya.... but i usually instruct at 10-15 events around the country, from local tracks to daytona, so my use is strictly related to the track. i have been using the app for many years and love it. i have found it to be a great tool to help my students at DE events.

so please, share your suggestions. it's a bit much sifting through all the marketing material comparing so many variables. i've found real world experience to be a far better data source.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Easiest and/or best gopro version?

Post by Harry »

To use the direct integration, the HEROs up to 7 are recommended. HEROs 8 and 9 in particular add additional trouble for connection making. This getting more and more a closed shop. While you can still use them (by making the connection through their own app), I do not want to recommend them.

Please keep in mind you can use any action cam with LapTimer (compatible formats provided) by simply operating them manually and add the footage recorded to LapTimer 'after the fact'. This includes your HERO 3 in case you have trouble setting up the WiFi.

One more option: sell your X and H3 and safe the money for a new action cam. Go for a iPhone12ProMax instead. It is coming with a new optical image stabilization (Wide lense selected) working with in car scenarios. So other than for all other modern smartphones, it delivers stable videos en par with action cams when operated in a car. I'm aware the phone is expensive, but it is making your on track experience a lot more convenient and creates great footage.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

I'm with Harry on this, I used to deal with an external GPS (which I might go back to, if I get a new one), OBD2 adapter, GoPro 4, and then an iPhone. Produced great video, but it was a chore to setup and get going.

This time I just went with the new iPhone 12 Pro (not Max) and called it a day. The video quality is WAY better than it used to be for track stuff and now my GoPro will collect dust or be used for other projects.

Here's a hotlap with the 12 Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSAQIU ... e=youtu.be
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That video is looking far better then other late smartphone already. 👍 There is still some wobbling, but it looks like Apple has change stabilization for the 12 Pro (not Max) too. The Max is coming with a completely different stabilization technology. It has not the lens, but the lighter sensor moving.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Yeah, and it looks like from recent rumors, the sensor shift OIS will come to all iPhone 13 models.
nineball
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nineball »

thanks for the replies. i'm not one to upgrade phones too often and honestly didn't even want the X but my 6+ was on it's 3rd battery and it was time. given the costs i believe i am going to pick up a trio of H7 white cams. i looked at all the specs and i don't own anything capable of displaying 4k, nor will i anytime soon, so no need for the silver or black. i can mount them in the car and leave them for the most part instead of moving my one cam around on various sessions, i'll just have to run a switched power to them. then just upgrade again and i should be set.
kpunkts
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kpunkts »

Does anyone have some iPhone 12 Pro Max footage with the HLT? I'm currently running everything with my iPhone X but yeah, wobbling everywhere :mrgreen: