LapTimer v24

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
will.horner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

LapTimer v24

Post by will.horner »

So I'm still having trouble with consistency with my ODB gauges showing in my videos. I have an Android phone (Samsung S20+ that the OS is updated), a 2001 Corvette Z06, a Kiwi 3 ODBC sensor connects at 4Hz and version 24.0.1 of HLT. I was just at a trackcross two weekends ago and I am getting the following results.

1. Everything is working great - I have the G-forces and the speed in the lower left corner and I have the pedals and RPMS in the lower right corner! Everything recorded in the video!

2. In video record mode, I don't get the pedals and RPMs in the lower right corner but I do get the G-forces and the speed in the lower left corner. In this mode I have green indicators for showing that everything is connected.

3. In video record mode, I see the G-forces and the speed in the lower left hand corner but I don't record the speed. I don't have the pedals and RPMs showing. Indicators still showing all green and everything connected.

4. In video record mode, I don't see the G-Forces and the speed in the lower left hand corner and I don't see the pedals and RPMs in the lower right hand corner. Indicators still showing all green and everything connected.

I have been through all the forums looking for assistance. I've done the power cycle on the phone, power cycle of HLT, turned off the phone WiFi, turned off and then turned back on the Bluetooth, made sure that no other Bluetooth devices were connected (or trying to connect), pulled the Kiwi 3 ODBC and reinserted it, etc. I also have left all the default settings in HLT. It is really frustrating when you are sitting in the line at a TrackCross and you cannot get HLT to work! Even more frustrating that sometimes it does!

So questions:
1. Is it just me or does everyone have trouble with consistency of HLT?

2. So I'm at a racetrack (Dominion Raceway in Virginia, USA), I have this track selected but since we are doing TrackCross we are not doing full laps! The start line is past the HLT starting point on the race course. So I go into lap or speed odometer mode and then hit the Video Preview mode. I wait until I move to the starting position and then hit the record button. I get the recorded video and all four issues above including issue one with good video sometimes (but not very often). I go past the ending point of the TrackCross and when I've slowed down I either hit the stop recording button or I wait until I pass the HLT track starting/stopping point and let it record the lap and then I hit the stop recording button. Please note that they will not allow us to walk the track and setup an AutoCross track with recording the start and end positions in HLT. Since I get good video sometimes I would think that this method should work all the time?

3. So if I want to test out HLT, should I not be able to sit in my driveway and not select a track (getting a red on the track selection) and still have the G-Forces, Speed, Pedals and RPMS showing in the speed odometer video preview mode? I believe that I've done this earlier this year but I've tried this over a few days now and I'm not able to get the pedals and RPMS to show (the G-Forces and speed does show). Please note that I'm seeing what appears to be a lock icon on the lower right corner of the display. What is this and do I have something locked out?

4. Should HLT just allow one to drive down the highway and in the speed odometer mode record the G-Forces, MPH, Pedals and RPMs in video preview mode and when recording? If not what a great test feature to add (and yes I do understand that this program is for recording racing events but somehow one has to be able to test this thing out driving around on roads).

Any ideas, suggestions, comments? Please let me know. PS - i have pictures of the issues and my settings if necessary to help trouble shoot.

thanks much
Will
Attachments
Shows additional information on Kiwi 3
Shows additional information on Kiwi 3
Screenshot_20201022-101907_LapTimer.jpg (568.48 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Shows Information on Kiwi 3
Shows Information on Kiwi 3
Screenshot_20201022-101901_LapTimer.jpg (543.22 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Shows Kiwi 3 Connected at 4 Hz.
Shows Kiwi 3 Connected at 4 Hz.
Screenshot_20201022-101847_LapTimer.jpg (477.98 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer v24

Post by Harry »

To get OBD data shown in videos they (a) need to be recorded and stored in LapTimer's database and (b) need to be added during overlaying. So in case the gauges are missing, always check both to find the root cause. To check (a), select the lap from Lap List and scroll down to Data Recordings. There is a row named Fixes naming the number of positions stored and the type of data included (GNSS, Acceleration, Engine, Tires). In case Engine is missing, the connection probably dropped during or before starting the lap. I'm not aware of an issue where data exists but isn't stored. (b) can be influenced by Overlay Configuration settings. This is the dialog coming up when pressing Lap List ‣ a lap ‣ Video / Export. On the second page (iOS) or on the only page but in the bottom (Android), there is a setting allowing you to select OBD overlays from Extended / Standard / None. None will create an overlay without the bottom right gauges.

Next, it is not recommended to use the Video Preview mode while driving. Actually there is a warning coming up this view is for texting the field of view only. Not sure I remember well, but I think this has been added when certain Android phones dropped connection to external devices while driving with Video Preview active.

To do a manual recording (with or without video), do the following: enabled Manual Timing in LapTimer's Settings. This will add a Start button to Timer view allowing you to record arbitrary situations. So the "with video" procedure is 1) goto Timer View, 2) press Video and select the internal cam, 3) return to Timer View, 4) press Start.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
will.horner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by will.horner »

Hi Harry,

Thank you so much for the assistance and the prompt reply! Cannot beat the service for sure!

So I did set the Manual Recording in the settings and I now see the START button in both the Timer and Speed modes! Thank you as this helps!

Unfortunately when I check the video settings in the fixes I'm not getting the ENGINE at all anymore for some reason and I was before (although not consistently but I can live with it not being consistent if I can get it working sometimes which I cannot now).

So if I have a good ODB connection showing then why I am not seeing the ENGINE fix and I get no ENGINE Gadget showing in the recordings? At the beginning and at the end of the recording I have everything showing GREEN in the System Status (except for a track nearby) including the ODB update rate but still no ENGINE Gadget showing. Could it be my Kiwi 3 is bad or maybe I should uninstall HLT and then reinstall (I have done a backup of my videos). Any other suggestions? Note that in the timer mode I am getting the RPMs showing in HLT as shown in the pictures below so I'm clearing getting data from the ODB Kiwi 3 to HLT - just not the ENGINE Gadget showing (note that one of the pictures shows two little icons in the lower right hand corner where the ENGINE Gadget should be - one looks like a guage and the other is clearly a lock icon - maybe indicating that the ENGINE Gadget is locked somehow?).

Thanks for taking another shot at this additional information!

Will
Attachments
Shows Engine Gadget no available??? Why?
Shows Engine Gadget no available??? Why?
Screenshot_20201026-112112_LapTimer.jpg (343.03 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Speed showing that Engine RPMs are working
Speed showing that Engine RPMs are working
Screenshot_20201026-114620_LapTimer.jpg (342.66 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Status showing everything Green except track
Status showing everything Green except track
Screenshot_20201022-101939_LapTimer.jpg (449.51 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
will.horner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by will.horner »

Last picture showing that the Engine Gadget is not showing in the Video mode and that I have two little icons - a guage icon and a Lock Icon. What is the lock icon indicating?

Will
Attachments
Shows no Engine Gadget and a lock icon
Shows no Engine Gadget and a lock icon
Screenshot_20201026-111421_LapTimer.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1901 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The lock means the screen orientation is locked and will not change independent from device orientation. That's a hint added when Display Details are increased above Plain. But there is a problem with the missing gauges - they should be there. I will check, but it will require an update to make them visible again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Problem fixed, it will get available in v24.0.2. I have not tried, but chances are good you get the gauge once you start to drive (speed > 5mph) for 24.0.1 too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
will.horner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by will.horner »

Thanks again Harry for the prompt support!

I have not been getting the Engine Gadget when driving either. I will get the newest version, 24.0.2 as soon as I can and give it a try! I will keep you posted! I'm excited to get this working again!

Will
will.horner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by will.horner »

Hi Harry!

Well I downloaded the 24.0.2 update last night and I took the Vette for a test ride at lunch today! At first the Engine Gadget was not showing so I did the usual stuff including restarting HLT, turning on and off the Bluetooth on the phone, pulling out and reinserting the Kiwi 3, etc. I was still not showing the Engine gadget in video preview mode (Timer or Speed odometer) but I was getting engine RPMs. We somewhere down the road it started working finally! So i toggled between the timer and speed odometer modes ands the engine gadget was still working. When I got home I shut down HLT and then restarted while sitting still in the driveway and the engine gadget was still working! So I have functionality. I'll keep testing it out over the next two weeks and then back at Summit Point, WV on Friday the 19th of Nov which I hope to be able to capture all the engine information during the laps! Again, thank you so much for the support and especially how prompt the support is! HLT is by far the best program and best support!

will
Attachments
Showing a working Engine Gadget again!
Showing a working Engine Gadget again!
Screenshot_20201103-121357_LapTimer.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks Will.

It may take some time for the OBD part to work after connection. The fusion of OBD data into the GPS stream is complex and both streams need to feed in their data at a consistent level before all displays show up consistently.

Harry
Image Image Image Image