Several Issues at a track day

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Several Issues at a track day

Post by gremlin »

So I was using Harry's this weekend and ran into several issues, first my setup

Car Porsche Cayman S 2014
OBD Reciever GoPoint which is paired to the phone
Phone iPhone 8 128GB running the latest OS from Apple. This phone does not have a subscription but is a spare, so no data connectivity (GPS etc all work though)
GPS Bad Elf Lightning GPS power wired through the Bad Elf
  1. Is there some way to default Harry's to use a certain dongle? When first powered on it kept attaching to other ODB dongles in cars around me, VeePack(I think that's what it said) or Kiwi, this despite the fact that my phone is only paired to the GoPoint
  • When I would remove the phone from the car to look at my laps (and therefore unplug that BadElf) Harry's would keep starting a session while I was looking at laps (I would hear the beep) and then it would tell me I couldn't do anything because it was recording. At least 7 times I had to go stop the timer, it got very frustrating
  • When switching from the default lap view to Session it's very very slow, I thought it was maybe because I have about 3 years of data in there, and several of them are days of endurance racing, but I went and started to delete old data and it really didn't help. By default I really want to see sessions not laps always, because I want to be looking only at data from my last session, or changing info about the session (who the driver was)
  • Lastly it also failed to start several times despite showing everything was good to go
Has anyone run into this, the worst was #2 and it persisted even when I quit and restart Harry's but they all combined to make a super frustrating day of trying to get data.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Several Issues at a track day

Post by Harry »

1) All of the named OBD adapters are Bluetooth Low Energy devices. They are not paired but can be connected directly. Due to the fact BT LE has a comparable short transmission distance, this seems to be accepted behavior. The GoPoint adapter is Bluetooth SPP and requires pairing. There are two workarounds: #1 start and connect LapTimer before you arrive in the parking lot. Once an OBD connection is established, other OBD devices will be ignored. #2 there is an expert setting to restrict connects to a special external adapter. The setting is named "Use Sensors Containing Name". You can enter BadElf to limit connects to the BadElf. The problem is that the GoPoint adapter will be filtered too and will not connect.

2) LapTimer restricts triggering laps to higher speeds by default. Please check if you have selected Trigger Detection / Allow Low Speeds accidentally.

3) Known limitation, this occurs for bigger databases.

4) Check your GPS accuracy and track set please. This may be due to changed expert settings for detection corridors too. You can see all settings changed by using the Contact button on LapTimer's startup screen. The mail generated will include a file named Settings.log with a list of all settings changed compared to the default. In case you can't find something here, have a look into one of the laps which actually worked. Select the lap from Lap List and follow Date Recordings / Preview. How dies the Map look like? Is the trigger direction in line with driving direction. What about accuracy etc.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

1) Can't start Harry's before I arrive, because it requires multiple re-starts during the day, due to it stopping working (see issues above) I think you mean GoPoint not BadElf. I'm assuming the BadElf will still connect given that it's lightning not Bluetooth. Seems like a nicety here would be an option to configure the sensors in my garage and just "mark" them as use these, and then have it always use those unless it doesn't see them in N time and then fall back to looking more broadly.

2) Thank you trigger detection low speeds was on, that will help

3) Bummer, anything that can be done for this? How about a prune option that automatically deletes data older than a specific date instead of me having to do this manually, or an archive so it just has this years data, but I can easily select to load in last years if I want to compare laps

4) I don't believe I have this set:

kCloudAutoReceive : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
kCloudEnabled : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
kExternalCamType : '6', root preference, changed from default '0'
kGoProWifiPassword : '*********', root preference, changed from default 'goprohero'
kMultiCamPreset : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
kNormalSector : '18', expert preference, changed from default '15'
kPowerUnit : '1', root preference, changed from default '0'
kSameSessionGapMaxSeconds : '40', expert preference, changed from default '2'
kSensorVideoDelay : '0.8', expert preference, changed from default '1.0'
kServerOnline : '0', expert preference, changed from default '1'
kThrottlePID : '3', expert preference, changed from default '0'
kUIDetailLevel : '1', root preference, changed from default '0'
kUseWatch : '0', expert preference, changed from default '1'
kWarningFreemiumEdition : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
kWarningMotorbikeUse : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
kWarningPowerSupply : '0', root preference, changed from default '1'
number stored: 464, with 10 obsolete
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

3) in case it is too slow for you, you need to use the Lap order for now
4) nothing critical, have you check one of the laps recorded? Please post a snapshot in case you want me to look into it.
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

3) Not a very satisfying answer but I understand feature and perf priorities. Having two drivers share a car during the day means that we have a lot of laps and it's much easier to compare things by session, laps makes it quite difficult to see where you're at. Given out quickly it seems to handle switching between Lap and Day it seems that SEssions jut not a primary key in your database and it has to re-compute it each time. One thing that I could see being super handy, is a way to just look at Today's data. Collapsing the set that you have to process before displaying the list. Or better maybe even just filter to the track I'm at by default as that's likely to be what I'm trying to see.

4) Looks like in an effort to reduce the issues stated on #3 I deleted those laps already. I'm going to see if I can go back to a previous version of the database before I did that and get that data for you, looking at the System Backups they all have the same number of laps so it seems unlikely I'll be able to do that.