Video delay, G Level, and Tachometer questions

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
BoxsterMan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Video delay, G Level, and Tachometer questions

Post by BoxsterMan »

Hi Harry,

I’ve been enjoying using HLT for several seasons to record video during track days and most of it works great but a few things don’t work so well. I’ve worked thru many settings but still no luck with the issues below, maybe you can help me with the settings that will improve these issues?
I’m using:
HLT version 23.0.11
iPhone XR with 64 GB of memory and iOS 13.5.1
Go Point BT1 OBDII with version 177.0.7 firmware

(1) The main annoyance is that the video lags the overlaid parameter graphics by ~2 seconds all the time. So when the overlaid graphics show the RPM decreasing and the brakes being applied coming into a turn, the video and audio show that I’m still on the throttle accelerating towards the end of the straight. I’ve worked thru the Fixing Video/Data Alignment forum post and got one session to match pretty well. Does every recorded session have to be adjusted like this, or does HLT now remember those settings for future sessions?

(2) The G level indicator always defaults to 1.0 G (at the 9 o’clock position on the outer circle) and just sits there. I have the ACCELERATION Calibration setting set to ‘Cam Preset’ so that it should read zero with the phone mounted horizontally looking forward thru the windshield. I can get it read zero correctly when the phone is in my hand and being held horizontally, but when I record a run it always goes back to 1.0 G. Any suggestions on this?

(3) The RPM digital display appears to be correct, but the green & red ‘tachometer’ display is not scaled right. At idle, the needle is halfway up the green band, and at 5000 RPM the needle is deep into the red zone, even though I have max RPM set at 7300 on the Vehicle #1 page. Is there a way to set the scale properly on the ’tachometer’?

Thanks for your help!
Tim Anderson
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video delay, G Level, and Tachometer questions

Post by Harry »

(1) In case you see a general drift for your smartphone and accessories configuration, please try the Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Overlay Synchronisation / Video setting. In case the sessions vary every time (which would be a sign of a hardware overload or erratic OBD accessory readings), please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4940. Adjusting an individual session's alignment will not have any effect on other sessions.

(2) Please use the Automatic Setting. With this setting, LapTimer will switch between presets automatically. For advanced use of acceleration and orientation, please have a look into Acceleration Handling on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

(3) Yes, you need to configure your vehicle's details properly. In particular, the max torque RPM, the max power RPM, and the max RPM need to be setting in your vehicle's details / Engine section.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BoxsterMan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BoxsterMan »

Hi Harry, thanks for the quick reply!

(1) The video lag is always the same for all sessions, and I was able to correct it for one trial session using the link above. (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4940) Sounds like I will have to make that correction after every session.

(2) I had read the Acceleration Handling use document, and it looked like Cam Preset was the best option, but I will try the Automatic default and see if that helps.

(3) I have all the engine and vehicle parameters set correctly, but the tachometer display is still not accurate.

Thanks,
Tim
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

(1) In case it is always the same, please adjust the delay applied in general (Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Overlay Synchronisation / Video).
(3) Re-check please, there is no reason it shouldn't work. There are three RPMs you need to specify (like written above). In case you can't find the solution, please create snapshots of the Engine section of your car's details and post them here.
Image Image Image Image
BoxsterMan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BoxsterMan »

(1) OK, I'll try some different settings for the Overlay Synchronization/Video, but I think I've tried changes there before... but I'll try again.
(2) I've attached a screen shot of my engine settings, they are per the Porsche specs for the car. Also below is a YouTube link to a track video... Right at the beginning on the straightaway, you can see the RPM display go up to about 6400, and the tach shows it deep in the red, even though the Max RPM is set at 7500. As I slow down you can see that the redline on the tach starts at 5000, not 7500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_SIFRSCoE
Attachments
Engine Settings.PNG
Engine Settings.PNG (313.99 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The car data looks sound. I have tested the rpm settings for an overlay and they look fine. Can you please check on duplicate car definitions? See Administration ‣ Vehicle List. Maybe you have several Boxsters defined and reference the wrong one? In addition, please check the result using the real time overlay (Play). In case the video is overlaid already, gauges display will not change when vehicle details are adjusted.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BoxsterMan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BoxsterMan »

I just have one car on the Vehicle list. BUT, I just took an old lap, reverted to the original video and re-exported with a new overlay based on today's settings adjustments, and NOW that tachometer looks correct - redline is way up at 4:30 or 5:00 o'clock on the dial which is about 7500 RPM. I did make some small adjustments today on the engine HP & Torque values to make them match the factory spec, but they were small adjustments. But it does seem to be correct now, I will have to try it out with some new laps at my next track day. Thanks for your help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can re-overlay all existing recordings. The new settings will be applied during overlay, not while recording.

Harry
Image Image Image Image