Nordschleife BTG start and finish points seem to be off

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Mosh92
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Nordschleife BTG start and finish points seem to be off

Post by Mosh92 »

I used Harry’s Laptimer Petrolhead Edition a few times on the Nordschleife now. In both loadouts (Harry’s BTG 2015 and Monikas BTG 2016) the timer starts way behind the bridge and stops far behind the gantry. I read the FAQ on why the laptimer triggers late but it said that it will only be a delay up to 2 seconds. It’s always more than 2 seconds in my case. Is that intended? Will the later starting point of the timing and the later ending neutralize each other or is that a malfunction? Also what is the proper setting for Nordschleife Touristenfahrten? BTG 2015 or 2016? I can’t tell the difference.

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Patrick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nordschleife BTG start and finish points seem to be off

Post by Harry »

Please use the 2016- version. It is making sure laps are timed precisely from bridge to gantry. As mentioned in the length FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5652), this is neither a malfunction, nor intended, but a consequence of physics. It does not introduce an error in lap time results.

TL;DR from the FAQ:
Due to signal run times and processing times, any measurements processed by LapTimer are "old". This results in late notification of events. However, LapTimer can compensate the latency when deriving lap times. So data stored and times reported are precise despite they get available with some latency.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mosh92
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Mosh92 »

Alright then. Like I said... I read the FAQ thread on that issue but I felt like the delay was way too long to be caused by the same reason.

Anyways, thanks a lot for clarifying! I’ll make sure to use the 2016 version.

PS: Super happy with the app so far and I already suggested a few friends to also get their hands on it!

Greetings
Patrick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Modern / very fast phones will have a smaller delay. In case you use an OBD adapter, this can prolong the latency too. But again, this will not make lap times less accurate. And thanks for recommending the app! :-)
Image Image Image Image
MiniRacer76
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MiniRacer76 »

Hi all
I was also on the Norschleife last weekend and was shocked by the big delay.
I'd rather have it the other way round, because now you have to stay on the pedal long after the gantry and then brake hard.
Hope for an update soon!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

MiniRacer76 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:30 am Hi all
I was also on the Norschleife last weekend and was shocked by the big delay.
I'd rather have it the other way round, because now you have to stay on the pedal long after the gantry and then brake hard.
Hope for an update soon!
No, that's wrong. You can lift the pedal once gantry is passed. You can read the full story here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5652
Image Image Image Image