OBD update rate?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
JJMiladin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD update rate?

Post by JJMiladin »

I have the OBD link MX on a 2002 Corvette Z06. It seems to work with Lap Timer on occasion but not regularly. As you can see from the screen shot it looks to be connected but it does not provide any data. I have had it provide data in the past but it wont show everything I think it should. For example it has never shown gear position.Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance for the help.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200304-172714_LapTimer.jpg
Screenshot_20200304-172714_LapTimer.jpg (495.47 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD update rate?

Post by Harry »

Please goto LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Sensors ‣ OBD Link MX ‣ Info with your smartphone connected and engine running. Create a snapshot of the Sensor Information you will see and post it here. Thx.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

From my observation and experience: Are you waiting long enough for the OBDLink to connect and start passing data? I also use Android phone, and I find it takes about 30-45 seconds for Laptimer to fully negotiate and begin polling for data transfer from the OBDLink.

My "procedure" is to start Laptimer and wait for up to 60 seconds. If you can see you OBDlink status lights, you should see them begin to "strobe" after approx. 30 seconds - this is the startup phase where LT is checking what PIDs are available,etc. At about 45 seconds or so, you should see the OBDlink status lights begin to start flashing very rapidly... this is when the update rate is fully engaged and exchanging data.

At that point, I go into Admin-> Sensors, and I check the OBD update, and I also verify that my GPS is connected and GoPro is enabled... after that I go into Timer and setup the rest.
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Another observation, since you say you never see Gear indication. Gear is displayed based on RPM, so if you are not getting any data from OBDLink you won't have RPM and hence no Gear indication Also, gear ratios need to be defined in your vehicle setup. Be sure to account for final drive ratio there as well.

Hope this helps.
JJMiladin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JJMiladin »

here are the screenshots you requested.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (377.39 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (462.19 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
JJMiladin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JJMiladin »

GP Pilot thanks for the tips. I will try your procedure. I have seen that connection is not instantaneous. I will say I have had RPM indication in the past. I did not know I would need to define gear ratios. I can do that I guess. I was assuming there was some sensor on the trans that was sending a signal to the computer.
JJMiladin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JJMiladin »

Gear ratios edited
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

In case your engine has been running when creating the screen shot, there is no communication between MX and your car established. In this case, please start with the „OBD Troubleshooting“ FAQ here on the forum.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
JJMiladin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JJMiladin »

I went to the FAQ and Changed the broadcast request from ALL to ECU, and also moved adaptive timing from Optimized to Enabled. Then i backed out to the the look at the sensors and it said the OBS sensor was connected. I then backed out and went to the Race screen. The screen showed "ready" when I first was there but went to "not ready" in about 2 seconds. I got this screenshot from the sensor page
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (367.97 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have you made sure no other OBD app is active in background? Reboot the phone to be sure. If yes, you need to proceed with creating a log file as described in the FAQ.

Harry
Image Image Image Image