Getting the finish line oriented correctly - AutoX

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
wheatchex64
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Getting the finish line oriented correctly - AutoX

Post by wheatchex64 »

I recently started using the petrol head version of Harry's lap timer. I was only able to use it for the last autocross. I did notice that the finish line never tripped the timer to stop. Looking at the map, the finish line marker, red/white line, was almost lined up with the direction of travel at the end, not perpendicular to the direction of travel. When marking the finish line. I walked directly from the start which was parallel to the finish on the other side of the lot. So I was basically walking perpendicular to the direction of travel at the start and perpendicular to the direction of travel at the finish. When I got to the finish I held my phone like I was taking a picture of the finish line in the direction of travel. I assume I screwed something up at this point. Should I have walked to a point some short distance from the finish along the course path and walk towards it like I would be driving with the phone oriented like taking a photo, stop and then enter the finish point? Thanks for any help.
Brian
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting the finish line oriented correctly - AutoX

Post by Harry »

The walking path to Finish does not influence the driving direction for the finish / stop trigger. At least not for smartphones with a magnetic compass build in. So when prompted, you need to point the device into the direction you would drive along during a timed lap. It is good to wait a bit until the compass has stabilized direction after setting the finish.

To verify and correct, please use the Map view. In case direction is wrong, tap the finish marker in the map. You will find the driving direction in the end of the POI Details dialog coming up. You can edit it as required. 0 is “no direction”, 1 is roughly North, 90 East, 180 South, 270 West.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
wheatchex64
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Getting the finish line oriented correctly - AutoX

Post by wheatchex64 »

Thank you for your help.
Brian