Recent builds and Kiwi 3

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Recent builds and Kiwi 3

Post by gremlin »

Is anyone else seeing issues with the stability of the connection to the KIWI 3 with iOS in the latest builds? Both my last track days it's started out working and I've touched nothing. By a few sessions in the Kiwi has disconnected and I'm no longer getting data off the car.
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Recent builds and Kiwi 3

Post by aMacUzr »

I recently did 8 15-20 min track sessions and found the following with LapTimer GP v23.0.5 on iOS 10 and saw the following:

- lost some of the (KiWi3) OBD channels some of the time

- saw many/regular drops in OBD data collection ... e.g., see the OBD speed drops to zero in the attached picture

The same setup gave no such issues in the past. I updated from v22.x just prior to this track day.
IMG_1972.PNG
IMG_1972.PNG (172.2 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When asking for dropped connections to wireless devices, you will always get answers. :-)

I do not have an issue like this on my list currently. There have been issues with the Kiwi4 but that’s fixed for the latest bug fix releases. Short drops may be due to problems with BT bandwidth or a general overload of processing power. Check if you have some other active BT devices in your car.

IOS12 showed issues with overloads in Video Preview. This item is worked around for LapTimer v23.0.7

Harry
Image Image Image Image
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

Thanks for the response. One thing I normally do is connect an old iPhone 4S to the car's BT when running LapTimer on the iPhone 6 (it only does data capture, not video) ... I may have forgotten to do this. I was also having problems with the VBOX Sport's BT connecting to LapTimer and ultimately had to use my old XGPS160 as the VBOX wouldn't connect after a few sessions (the second time that's happened). I've now updated the iPhone 6 to the latest/final version of iOS 12, so we'll see how things go at the next track day.
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Got out for another track day with the latest build on my phone v23.0.8 and it never did connect to the Kiwi in the car. This time we were in the 336 m3 for the Lemons race. I could scan codes with Carista no problem and Harry's showed that it saw the kiwi but never showed data off of it.

iOS 12 at the moment (a little afraid of the upgrade as usual), previously this was pretty stable, but the e36 and the 981 I'm using different Kiwi's (Both 3s).

One of my teammates asked if I ever bound the Kiwi to the phone, which I have not ever done, is that necessary I thought they were BTLE and just got picked up, and certainly I've never done it before. When we went to bind it sometimes it was visible under discovery and sometimes not it didn't seem to make a difference.

Unfortunately for me I really haven't had a stable Kiwi I think most of this year, which is a bummer, as I really like to see my throttle information. I know when I was beta testing 22 we had this issue for a while but then it got fixed, so I'm wondering if something's crept back in.

thank you
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

There is no Kiwi3 issue in general. I use it almost every day and it is stable in terms of LapTimer / adapter communication. You do not pair the Kiwi3, it is connected automatically if available. There are actually always two areas that can create issues:

1) Other apps blocking access to the adapter. The Kiwi can be connected to one app at a time only, so if you have PLX's or other apps running in background, LapTimer is out. Kill all that stuff or restart your phone to be sure.
2) The rest is about adapter / car compatibility. The Kiwi3 is quite reliable here, but certain cars can create problems with the way LapTimer optimized update rates. Please have a look into viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500 to solve this type of problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Thanks Harry,

I'll read that page. I am super careful to not run any other apps at all, and when I do run them to verify the kiwi is functioning I always force kill those apps and force kill HLT and restart. It was previously working and getting me data on the 981 and the e36 without issue, certainly in 21 it did, then in 22 after the beta issues which you reported fix it worked again. 23 worked earlier in the day on my last lap session, although one issue is it kept picking up other devices while in the pits (some other non kiwi (Veepeak was seen frequently).

I understand it works on your machine but it's no longer reliable on mine, are there any logs from the device I can send you which could be useful in debugging it. Again yesterday HLT int he engine page showed a connection to the Kiwi but no data while the engine was running.
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Ah I see the bit now about using GPS/OBD buddy for traces, I'll grab those off of the 981 on the street this week. the e36 is unfortunately now blown up again. LIkely though I wont' get another track day this year so validating any changes is out. I wonder if the amount of data I have in the system has caused enough load on my iPhone 6s to mean it can't reliably keep up.