Can I use an iPod?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Can I use an iPod?

Post by rbpeirce »

Some of the posts indicate this will work. Is that correct and do I need to do anything different? Are there benefits or problems?

I currently use a 16Gb iPhone 5s. It does a fine job on video but lacks enough room. Research indicates I can buy a 64Gb iPhone 5s, which would fit my mount, but I can also buy an iPod with up to 128Gb, which would probably allow me to do an entire weekend without running out of space.

Assuming an iPod is an alternative, is there a model that has the same size as the 5s?
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
jluthman
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Can I use an iPod?

Post by jluthman »

Might check to see if your iPod model has GPS. A quick search suggests most of them do not.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can use the latest generation iPod touch provided you add an external GPS. See www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios for options. IPods do not have an internal GPS.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Do I need a GPS for videos? My Apex Pro has a built-in 10Hz GPS and I thought I might be a able to use that for data and HLT for videos. OTOH, if that won't work, my best option would be a 64Gb iPhone.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
jluthman
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by jluthman »

Without GPS it wouldn't know when to start recording. The app has no idea if you're at the track or if it's in a shipping container.

You could obviously record with just the device's video recorder app. There's no way to use LapTimer and a device without any kind of GPS. If the Apex Pro has GPS and works with LapTimer, you're good to go.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Apex Pro is not yet integrated.

Harry
Image Image Image Image