Multiple Issues Over Weekend

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Multiple Issues Over Weekend

Post by cyaniccypher »

This past weekend I went to autocross for first time with 2017 Focus RS.

I have a PLX deivces Kiwi 3, and Running Lap Timer on Galaxy S10+

I just could not get Harry's Lap timer to operate correctly.

Every so often it would say OBD update rate too slow.

Video would not record, or video would start after 20 - 30 seconds after being stages.

There were two instances when hitting the staged button would giver error message saying that car needs to be still in order to stage.

Lasty when I did get video the telemety data and the video was out of sync. Please let me know how to address.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Issues Over Weekend

Post by Harry »

cyaniccypher wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am This past weekend I went to autocross for first time with 2017 Focus RS.

Video would not record, or video would start after 20 - 30 seconds after being stages.

There were two instances when hitting the staged button would giver error message saying that car needs to be still in order to stage.

Lasty when I did get video the telemety data and the video was out of sync. Please let me know how to address.
The video starts when recording starts, not when staging. This will probably change at some time, but this how it is currently. Any other delay in video start may be due to a device overload (e.g. when using Video Preview while driving). A not working OBD connection can defer processing of sensor data too. So in case you get the OBD warning, disconnect it completely and trouble shoot later.

Once a staging area has been set, LapTimer will check whether the current position is very short distance to the staging position. In case you get the "progress to staging area" message, either the staging position is set wrong, you are not in the staging area, or your current GPS reception is very bad (reporting a position off the real position).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyaniccypher »

Harry wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:15 pm
cyaniccypher wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am This past weekend I went to autocross for first time with 2017 Focus RS.

The video starts when recording starts, not when staging. This will probably change at some time, but this how it is currently. Any other delay in video start may be due to a device overload (e.g. when using Video Preview while driving). A not working OBD connection can defer processing of sensor data too. So in case you get the OBD warning, disconnect it completely and trouble shoot later.

Once a staging area has been set, LapTimer will check whether the current position is very short distance to the staging position. In case you get the "progress to staging area" message, either the staging position is set wrong, you are not in the staging area, or your current GPS reception is very bad (reporting a position off the real position).

- Harry
The staging is working correctly. I get the change from message displaying how far away I am from the staging area to the orange circle that says staged. Then when I am ready to start I hit staged circle and error messages comes on saying that in order to stage you have to have 0 speed, which does not make sense because in order to get the staged button to you have to be at 0 speed (standing still).

What I meant was is that the video and recording both start 20-30 seconds after they should have.

I also read that for petrolhead addition you have to sync data and video manually, is there an instruction on how to do this?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I assume this is due to the problem with the OBD connection. As an example the connection may have dropped when you where driving (speed > 0) and so LapTimer received 0 speed from GPS and e.g. 50 km/h for wheel speed. In a situation like this, it is best to simplify the setup and try the plain configuration (smartphone only).

Video syncing is done automatically for the internal cam. A manual addition for Petrolhead is required in case you record videos externally and add them manually later.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyaniccypher »

Harry wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 pm Video syncing is done automatically for the internal cam. A manual addition for Petrolhead is required in case you record videos externally and add them manually later.

- Harry
For the one video that I was able to record using the phone's internal camera it was most certainly not in sync, so is this related to the other issue with the OBD 2 or is this something else?

How do I troubleshoot the OBD 2 connection?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I assume due to OBD connected, but not delivering data.

For OBD, please check the FAQ section here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I assume due to OBD connected, but not delivering data.

For OBD, please check the FAQ section here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyaniccypher »

The interesting thing is that in GPS buddy I was able to consistently get it to work with a refresh rate of 9Hz after setting adaptive timing to enabled and disabling parallel requests, as suggested in another thread in this forum.

When I use those same two settings with Lap Timer it does not work. The default settings seem to work for a few minutes and then the refresh rate goes to 0Hz and does not recover.
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyaniccypher »

cyaniccypher wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:23 pm The interesting thing is that in GPS buddy I was able to consistently get it to work with a refresh rate of 9Hz after setting adaptive timing to enabled and disabling parallel requests, as suggested in another thread in this forum.
This is not true, GPS buddy crapped out after about 7-8 minutes.
cyaniccypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyaniccypher »

I send you log file.