Fails to see finish line if I pass it over 80 Mph

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Fails to see finish line if I pass it over 80 Mph

Post by robertfsadler »

I am using V23 GPE with a Bad Elf GPS Pro 10Hz. I used it for the first time today to test it and found a pretty basis problem.

System status indicators are all "Green". The app starts a lap on passing Start/Stop line but then fails to register a new lap when I complete the lap and just keeps recording as the same lap.

Oddly, the track set has turns and sectors marked which the app picks up and shows on the overlay. It even catches the sector that ends with the finish line except it doesn't start a new lap. I am passing this at 110 Mph or more.

I did notice it reliably caught the start/end of a lap if I passed the finish line at 75 Mph or less.
I am using this track from Harry's online track list: Atlanta Motorsports Park - AMP by J K

What is the issue? All the statuses remain green and there isn't an issue reported with GPS reception or quality.
Here's a link to a youtube video using the export feature - it starts with me passing the finish/start line at low speed and the app recognizes the start of a new lap. Then on next iteration passing finish at higher speeds it fails to see the finish line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTxbatGNYQ8&t=7s
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fails to see finish line if I pass it over 80 Mph

Post by Harry »

Please export a single lap that hadn't stopped to HLPTRL and KML and send this export to Harry@gps-laptimer.de. To export such a lap, select it from Lap List and select the distribute button (Android: top right, iOS: bottom tool bar). Select the scope to be a single lap (not session or day) and make the format type selections. Press Mail to send the attachments generated.

A speed of 110 mph will hardly be a general issue, finish lines are often passed at far higher speeds. But maybe I see some other problem in the recording.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by robertfsadler »

Thanks. I'll do that in the next hour. I have another track day today and was going to go and use another track that is on the site for AMP. Oddly it says it is done for a "Counter clockwise" direction but AMP is only run counter clockwise. I was also going to make my own track using that feature on the app and see how that works.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

AMP is defined as a counter clockwise configuration. In case you drive it clockwise, load the track set and add 180 degrees to the s/f digger driving direction. Or use the New Track assistant to set up your own definition. In any way I'd be interested to understand if there is something like a clockwise configuration. In this case, we can add it easily.

On your next try: in case you run into problems with the Bad Elf. Turn it off and check what happens when using the internal GPS. Bad data is probably better than no data. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by robertfsadler »

I sent them as two separate files - didn't know (or try) you could multi-select formats on the export...
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by robertfsadler »

AMP is indeed Counter clockwise. It is never run any other way and the track set I used seems to be setup this way. I was just confused there was another 'official' track set for the same venue and it had "counter clockwise" in its title as if the other may not have used that direction.
I have used the app before with the internal iPhone GPS at 1Hz. It also has problems detecting S/F with official track sets and the reception can be spotty at that location. I had been using my self defined track and that would mostly work except it would randomly decide to move the start/finish coordinates during sessions. I marked that up to something I may have done wrong with creating the track and also to poor GPS reception. Hence why I went out and got an external GPS.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, you can select multiple formats at once.

I received your data, actually it is looking good... You can split this double lap into two as follows:

Select the 04:02.09 from Lap List. Follow Data Analysis / Fixes and select the Recalculate icon in the bottom of the dialog showing up. It is the second from left. From all the calculations select "Verify Lap" and "Wide" when asked. This will split your lap into two. I have no idea why this has not been split in real time, but it is easy to do it using the named function.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by robertfsadler »

OK. I was able to split a couple multi lap ones into separate laps. I do have one 6 minute 'lap' that the app says is 'manual' and incomplete but I don't believe I was doing anything manual. Using 'verify lap' it thinks there are 2 laps but there are more. Maybe this file has something in it that might help resolve the issue I am seeing. I sent it to you in both formats. I'll also be at the track in a few hours and try the following:
use the same track set to see if I get the same behavior
Load the the other official track and test that
create my own track based on just the start/finish location and test that.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When playing with multiple track sets for one place, please make sure they are loaded alternating. They must not be loaded at the same time because this will create conflicts for trigger detection.

Laps marked "incomplete"/"manual" are usually the cool down laps. When leaving into the pits, a lap recording will be ongoing. You will either select Stop (or Cancel) in the pits, which will store the lap as "incomplete"/"manual" to signal it should not be compared to full laps. Cancel will purge the cool-down lap altogether. In case you have a combination from full laps and a cool down lap, the Verify Lap function will split this into N automatic laps and 1 incomplete lap.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
robertfsadler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by robertfsadler »

Hi,
I went to the track yesterday and did the following experiments:
Used Bad Elf at 10Hz all status were green.

1 Loaded Atlanta MP track and it behaved as before. sees the finish as a sector but doesn't start a new lap on app screen unless I pass below 75 Mph.

2 Loaded AMP Dawsonville and purged Atlanta MP POIs - It didn't see the S/F at all but would sometimes trigger S/F when I was around turn 4 or 5. I looked at the incomplete lap I recorded with it and it shows POIs to the upper right of the track outline so maybe the POIs are wrong for the track set?
Not sure how to attach an image. I emailed it to you.

3 I then defined my own track driving ~50 Mph past the Start/Finish line in my car. That seemed to work well and I was able to record lap times passing at 125 Mph. Except you don't get the sectors which is helpful.

Why would it work for me defining my track and not for the Atlanta MP official track?