[SOLVED] Inaccurate speed

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
caesar1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Inaccurate speed

Post by caesar1 »

If you need beta testing on this topic, i am your man.

i'm actually involved in Performance Test+development work for 9ff. We have a lot chances to produce out-of-this world accelerations to test your app comparing to the PB to see how big the deviation is.

Jan Fatthauer likes to see his cars in youtube, showing their power. But if you look some existing vids, most of them are very poor in quality, copying the instrument cluster...not really usable for documentation or promotion.
HLT could be the perfect solution..if the data shown comes close.

wouldnt it be nice to see some 9ff vids, showing footage with Harrys Lap Timer overlayed in youtube, maybe linked from 9ff home? ;)

greetz
Dieter
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for the offer! I

In case you want better data than the internal GPS, you may opt for one of the solutions listed here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

Cross linking is highly appreciated, especially by 9ff :-)

- Harry

P.S. Beta is already closed, hope to get it out soon. The speed topic is no big change as Harry's Sailor has this implemented already. Reasons for using here are the very LOW speeds sailing ships do, strange situation :D
Image Image Image Image
caesar1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by caesar1 »

From Harry <<I did some testing and analysis during the last days. It is probably Apple's implementation of the location service that tries to smooth positions and speed... I was not really able to reproduce (no chance to get to track), but received a log from a one of you that shows that the (too low) speed shown is exactly what is coming in. LapTimer does not change this speed data at all. I'm currently adding an expert setting to switch between measured and calculated speed. Measured speed (Doppler effect) is usually the better value, however, as the effect described here kills this accuracy, calculating speed is probably the better one again. I will try to include it in v14. In case anyone had the same effect with an external GPS with direct NMEA access (TomTom, G-FI) - please let me know. >>

..does that mean that this could be a solution to recover some old recorded Laps to reasonable Speed Displays too???

Than i would suggest, and highly demand that feature..a possible implementation could be to enhance the Recalculation Code with that function..

..i hope you could do that in 14.0...and that it doesnt take too long... :(
Newf
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Newf »

Tried V14 at the track yesterday with calculated speed enabled and the speeds are very accurate. Thanks again for the update and great product.

Colin
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good to hear. I hope Apple will fix this in the future.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
caesar1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by caesar1 »

Harry,

is there any Chance for a "Speed Recalculation" Function for old "Laps" as i suggested above?

Greetz
Dieter
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I've put this on my list already. Please understand however, that I need to bring all the feature requests in a row, so it is not yet scheduled for a release.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
caesar1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [SOLVED] Inaccurate speed

Post by caesar1 »

*Bump*

..any news regarding the long awaited *speed recalculation function for old recorded laps* ?

or did u drop this topic from your to-do list... :-(
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Inaccurate speed

Post by Harry »

As stated in another thread, I have approximately 150 feature request on my list... I give it a +1 ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image