GoPro3 won't detect

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
axonperformance
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro3 won't detect

Post by axonperformance »

Anyone else have problems connecting and having HLT detect a gopro3+? I am connected to the camera on my pixel 2 phone via WiFi and the gopro app detects and controls it fine but when I go into HLT under video the external camera always says not detected.

Yes, I have checked that the hero3/hero3+ in settings and verified the password is correct.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro3 won't detect

Post by Harry »

Please make sure the GoPro app is *killed*. I will block access be LapTimer when active in background.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
axonperformance
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

No luck. Here are screenshots of my device showing the connection to wifi, all apps closed, but still not recognized. Also, I just did a factory default on the gopro and even changed the wireless SSID.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dZpfsxFEMtyxVB8J7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

And the GoPro app is killed and not active in background? You can try to restart the phone too - this will make sure no other app is accessing the HERO...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
axonperformance
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Correct, that's what the one screenshot shows. I'll try uninstalling the GoPro app too. Any other test I can try to see if I can access the GoPro from a web browser or something else to verify its API is accessible?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, you can use the browser to send commands directly. See https://blog.m00n.eu/gopro-hero-3-url-c ... collection for samples.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
axonperformance
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Great news, I was able to get this working. I'm not sure what did it, but I uninstalled the GoPro app and also when connected to the gopro wireless it popped up an android box that asked me if I wanted to stay connected and never ask for this wireless network in the future. I checked the box for that too.

Hopefully this helps others. Thanks Harry for the assist; great app, makes me love racing even more!
oldnick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oldnick »

I had the intention to use 2 gopro hero3 (it's not convenient to use the camera on the display phone on my car), and actually purchased this pro software mostly for that as it is "multicam" , but am encountering dificulties : I can get it to start one (or sometimes the other) camera, but never both...

By curiosity I tried the gopro phone app, which drives simultaneously the 2 wifi cameras without problem :

any lead on what I am doing wrong?

thank you !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Using the open WiFi interface, only one GoPro can be connected and controlled by an app at a time. Well possible they have extended their interface and/or use BT to control more than one cam with their app, but this isn't opened up for 3rd parties since they closed their developer program 2 or 3 years ago.

You can operate your second cam manually and add that footage to LapTimer recordings as shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
oldnick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by oldnick »

ok thank you! I have to install the gopro cameras at locations that are not reachable when driving, but I think I should be able to control the second one (or both if necessary) using the gopro wifi , so as long as manual synchro is possible I should be able to work it out.

I had tried a couple things with the gopro settings, in the end what works for me is setting it on "gopro app" and setting the (samsung android) phone wifi connected to it as if it was a wifi network : I suppose it considers it as a router and uses it's IPv4 network address, so it's not possible to have 2 different nodes (when I tried to get the 2 cameras with the same name and password, only one would be controlled at a time, depending on which gets the protocol first i guess). The gopro app probably gets deeper into wifi protocole layers to control multiple cameras by their names (probably like the wifi gopro gizmo does)

ps: great software, I've already got 2 friends get it (one for motorcycle, one for vintage cars racing)