Enter An Alternative Preset Angle Manually

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Engenia
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Enter An Alternative Preset Angle Manually

Post by Engenia »

I used HLT for the first time on my track bike last week with mixed results. i have mounted the phone at -50 degrees in an aluminium case in front of the dash, so I wasn't able to use the Motorcycle Preset, which assumes +70 degrees.
Although HLT tried many times to calibrate, I was unable to complete any and had to "Force Calibration" to make it work regardless. I believe this was because I was attempting to do it between the garages at Wakefield Park where I could not ride or stop quickly. Doing a calibration on-track is not possible.

Would it be possible to provide for manual entering of the phone pitch, roll and yaw to create a specific preset orientation?

In my case, Roll = 0, Yaw = 0 (same as Motorcycle Preset) and Pitch = -50 (where Motorcycle Preset = +70).
If the accelerometer X & Y is not that of the phone case, it should be a simple case of laying the phone on a horizontal surface and telling HLT that it is level.

This would greatly simplify setting up HLT for a bike that is not road registered &/or the screen is untouchable when mounted in position.

NB: I was using my el-cheapo 10Hz Reyax GPS mounted in the duck-tail, and the aluminium case had a section cut out to give the Bluetooth antenna an unrestricted view. The case provides some protection for the phone (& consequently the track) should it part company with the bike in a crash.
regards
Errol
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Enter An Alternative Preset Angle Manually

Post by Harry »

Hello Errol,

Not sure individual calibration will work for motorbikes at all. Due to the lean, LapTimer uses downforce measurements to calculate the lean... The last step in calibration is something you need to do on track - while braking hard. Usually this will be done during the introduction lap after leaving the pits. Do not use Force Calibration and just let the system try to calibrate itself.

As measuring lean / lateral for motorbikes is a sensible process anyway, I recommend to use LapTimer acceleration calculation method instead of measurements anyway. Select any lap recorded from Lap List and select Recalculate / Acceleration. Follow instructions shown.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Engenia
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Engenia »

So for a bike, my bike in particular, do I set calibration to
  1. Preset or
  2. Individually Measured?
If the former, then
  1. take the bike out for a session
  2. select a lap and hit "Recalculate / Acceleration"
  3. leave Strength as default (Light)
  4. select "Done"
  5. choose apply to "Session" and let it do its thing
  1. Will it then lock that calibration for all future sessions, or
  2. do I need to tell it to lock?
    (If so, how?)

If Calibration is set to "Individually Measured", it will attempt to calibrate then and there, and the only way out is "Force Calibration", which is what you say shouldn't be done. Besides, braking hard in a straight line on a track day is likely to end in grief if it's not happening as you enter a corner, which means there's already some lean angle happening.

So, I'm a little confused as to the correct procedure to make HLT record each and every session without error.
regards
Errol
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

a, b, c, d, e: yes

1. no, locking can be used after an successful individual calibration: do one full individual calibration; when back in the pits, check acceleration / lean is fine; if yes, select Lock from Acceleration View. This will turn off a new calibration for every new run / start of app; instead, LapTimer will memorize the rotation matrix calculated and stored.

This is under an untested assumption individual calibration will work with your mounting position at all.

In case it doesn't, and you do not want / cannot use the predefined motorbike mounting orientation, a-e is what to do.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image