Procedure for calibrating sensor delays ?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Procedure for calibrating sensor delays ?

Post by Harry »

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:39 pm Keep in mind that delays are applied during recording. Existing records are unchanged. The only exception is the Video Delay, it is applied when overlaying.
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry - I made changes and re-ran my testing... Changes were made BEFORE recording:

I changed sensor delays as follows. Previously, OBD was 2 seconds ahead of GPS, and now OBD is still 1 second ahead, even though I made changes worth 2 seconds -- I'm thinking one of these delays isn't having an effect. Any Ideas on what to try next?

External GPS = 0.7 Secs --> Changed to 1.7 secs
Any OBD/Engine Sensor = 1.8 seconds --> Changed to 0.8 Seconds

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Which GPS and which OBD accessory do you use?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:36 pm Which GPS and which OBD accessory do you use?

- Harry
GPS is Dual SkyPro XGPS160 at 10hz... OBD is OBDLink MX at 5-6Hz... Both Bluetooth.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. well spotted. Assuming you are on Android (because of the MX BT), I have checked the code. It turns out the delay setting is ignored for GPS accessories. :-( Actually this clarifies some other posts on issues with sensor delays. For external GPSes, a delay of 0 is used currently. I will fix this for the upcoming LapTimer v23. In case you want to jump on the beta immediately, please use the Beta Request form available from LapTimer / Administration / Add-ons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:24 pm O.k. well spotted. Assuming you are on Android (because of the MX BT), I have checked the code. It turns out the delay setting is ignored for GPS accessories. :-( Actually this clarifies some other posts on issues with sensor delays. For external GPSes, a delay of 0 is used currently. I will fix this for the upcoming LapTimer v23. In case you want to jump on the beta immediately, please use the Beta Request form available from LapTimer / Administration / Add-ons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

- Harry
Thanks... I was doing some testing this morning to see which delays were having an effect... I increased GPS delay from 1.7 to 2.5, but it had no effect whatsoever. I also tried increasing the Consumer GPS delay from 1.5 to 2.5, and still no effect (I have external XGPS160 but wanted to see if it had any effect). The only delay that have made a difference is adjusting the OBD delay. So that confirms your finding then (GPS delay are effectively ignored)

UPDATE: I reduced OBD delay from 0.8 to 0.0 (impossible)... and now OBD is ahead by only 0.3
Last edited by ereynold60 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:24 pm In case you want to jump on the beta immediately, please use the Beta Request form available from LapTimer / Administration / Add-ons.
- Harry
Is there a list of features and items being worked for v23 somewhere? I may be willing to test, as I have a track event in 3 weeks... therefore I've been doing some pre-testing to verify my devices and configuration settings with v22.
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Any news on when v23 will be released?
petrolhead
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by petrolhead »

Where can I find these settings? I can't see them in Settings->Expert Settings
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Pretty far in the bottom.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image