Record on phone - Analyze on tablet?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Magnus Thomé
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Record on phone - Analyze on tablet?

Post by Magnus Thomé »

I've done some searching but failed to find something on this topic. Sorry if it already is posted somewhere.

With other apps I've managed to set up fully automatic syncing of all neccesary files from my phone to my tablet. So when the phone and tablet gets near each other they connect together over the local wifi the Android internet sharing function creates. And I can just start the app on the tablet and everything is already available in it. When setting up the file sync using a separate file syncing tool (the one I use is a bit cumbersome) I can choose if all files are synced or if I ignore any huge files like video.

The plus of using the internet sharing wifi network is the high bandwidth and that no data on my limited-data-plan subscription is used.

But doing exactly the same using Dropbox or Google Drive would enable a friend to use the tablet to view the data at any time. This second approach of course is a bit more complicated with open files that are still being updated so not possible with the app I currently test this with.

Any future plans in this direction or is it already fully possible? I looked at the online functions but didn't see the possibility to analyze logg data there?

Check this hardware logger product out just for fun (NOT the one I'm using)
(don't like the 10USD/month fee and propitary servers solution though, rather use standard stable stuff like Dropbox and the like)
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/artic ... quisition/
https://cl1.racepak.com
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Record on phone - Analyze on tablet?

Post by Harry »

I'm not a friend of cloud based solutions. Many sport apps go the path to create their own cloud. I consider this a "Google business model", too often - get the users data, get insights, use that for marketing, subscription models, or even sell it. LapTimer has been designed to set privacy first - which is the reason data is handled locally. The only acceptable model would be an encrypted general purpose cloud like Dropbox. LapTimer allows exports / imports using Dropbox already, but not an automatic sync allowing seamless access from multiple devices. We may add this sometime in the future, and as an option.

Until then, please use the classic approach. Export your database to .hlptrl and import that file on the target device. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341 for a FAQ.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Magnus Thomé
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Magnus Thomé »

Ah, there is a manual way already. Super! Missed that when looking around.

I too really dislike "magic" unclear cloud application services, especially when they are closed propietary and non transparent. But privately using an open api to my own dropbox account or similar storage to "bounce" my data between my own choice of devices is nice!

I'll try out the manual export/import !!
flyingflatfour
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by flyingflatfour »

I am presently using HLT GP on an Android Moto G5+ together with a GoPro Hero 7 black.

Unfortunately, the phone is not able to cope properly with 4K/60fps: it’s impossible to read such a high bit-rate video on the device without stuttering and other issues (both within HLT and VLC).

HLT will crash if trying to export overlay a multiple lap session, although it works for single laps, but it’s very slow.

Thinking about a solution, I just realised I was going to have to buy an iPad Pro in a couple of months for work.

I guess the IPad Pro would be a perfect device to export overlay videos in 4K/60fps?

Will I have to purchase another HLT licence to be able to use the app on the iPad Pro and transfer databases from the Android phone to the tablet?

Apparently the GoPro Hero 7 black is a direct plug and play into the IPad Pro via USB-C, which should allow for fast file transfers...

Best regards
Magnus Thomé
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Magnus Thomé »

For file transfers the GoProH7B plugs in to Android phones/tablets with a USB micro connector too using a OTG adapter. Just good to know :-)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Licenses are handled by Apple and Google, and obviously, they do not support transfers. You can apply for a partial refund as described in Mover Support on www.gps-laptimer.de/products. Actually this is designed for movers and not for use in parallel, but I'm fine we use that program here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
flyingflatfour
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by flyingflatfour »

Magnus Thomé wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 am For file transfers the GoProH7B plugs in to Android phones/tablets with a USB micro connector too using a OTG adapter. Just good to know :-)
Didn’t think about that one, however my phone is USB 2.0 only. I believe USB 3.0 is a minimum for handling 4K/60fps files ;)
flyingflatfour
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by flyingflatfour »

Harry wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:00 am Licenses are handled by Apple and Google, and obviously, they do not support transfers. You can apply for a partial refund as described in Mover Support on www.gps-laptimer.de/products. Actually this is designed for movers and not for use in parallel, but I'm fine we use that program here.

- Harry
Understood, thanks!
Magnus Thomé
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Magnus Thomé »

flyingflatfour wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am
Magnus Thomé wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 am For file transfers the GoProH7B plugs in to Android phones/tablets with a USB micro connector too using a OTG adapter. Just good to know :-)
Didn’t think about that one, however my phone is USB 2.0 only. I believe USB 3.0 is a minimum for handling 4K/60fps files ;)
It's just for file transfer so USB2 will work but... slower :)