Overylay not exporting with GoPro 7 video

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Tiago Macedo de
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Overylay not exporting with GoPro 7 video

Post by Tiago Macedo de »

Harry wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 am Well, if you checked for all the items that they behaved / showed up precisely as described (except #9), I probably need to step through this items myself. To do this, export the single lap you selected in step #1 to .hlptrl and send it to Harry@gps-laptimer.de. In addition store the HERO7 video on some server space where I can download it (Dropbox sharing or similar). You can't use youtube, because your video will not be stored 1:1 here. It needs to be some file service.

- Harry
Herry,
I just sent by e-mail the information required.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sending the recording and the video. Actually I can reproduce the problem - the overlay does not appear. I assume some issue with the video file format, but we will see. I will come back begin of next week.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

As expected, this is a problem with the file format used by your HERO 7. While it is possible to play / display the video in LapTimer, the more complex process of decoding the video to frames, adding overlays, and writing a new video fails for the format (more specific the pixel format) used. The following work around for now:

1) Download Handbrake from the net
2) Open the video file (which is a 1080/60fps in your case)
3) Select the 1080/30 Preset for the target format, change the fps to 60
4) Convert the video to a new video file
5) Upload this file to your smartphone and Re-Link laps to this new video

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tiago Macedo de
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tiago Macedo de »

Harry wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm Hello,

As expected, this is a problem with the file format used by your HERO 7. While it is possible to play / display the video in LapTimer, the more complex process of decoding the video to frames, adding overlays, and writing a new video fails for the format (more specific the pixel format) used. The following work around for now:

1) Download Handbrake from the net
2) Open the video file (which is a 1080/60fps in your case)
3) Select the 1080/30 Preset for the target format, change the fps to 60
4) Convert the video to a new video file
5) Upload this file to your smartphone and Re-Link laps to this new video

- Harry
Hey Harry,
Now I can see the overlay, thank you so much for the great support!
Do you know what file format I should chose on my GoPro, in order to avoid all this work around? The only options that I have on the camera is HEVC and H.264.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There are multiple pixel formats that can be used by H.264, your video used that too. It is the format used most commonly, but obviously failed here. Try to reset your cam completely, maybe it is something like Protune or anything else that triggers the use of this incompatible coding.

Harry
Image Image Image Image