Infineon Raceway Map Issue

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
oakleyposterboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Infineon Raceway Map Issue

Post by oakleyposterboy »

Hello -

I went to Sonoma (Infineon) Raceway last November and for some reason the videos for each lap do not start at the beginning of the lap but rather start at about turn #8. The image of the map in the individual lap screens looks close, but has some gaps and jagged points. It looks like maybe the POI file for this map is broken? Is there any way that I can fix my videos without manually re-cutting them all from the master video?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Infineon Raceway Map Issue

Post by Harry »

Please export one of the laps recorded and starting at turn #8 and showing up with "gaps and jagged points" to .hlptrl and send it to Harry@gps-laptimer.de. Please add some note on this thread so I can understand the context when I receive the mail.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
oakleyposterboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Hi Harry! I will gladly do this...but how? The export only seems to export videos. I will email you a screen shot of the lap info though. The subject of the email is: "Forum Follow-up: Infineon Raceway Map Issue"
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is most probably an issue with your GPS reception and not the track set. Please have a look into the screenshot attached.
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2019-04-27 at 08.23.11.jpg
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone X - 2019-04-27 at 08.23.11.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
You can see that the recording of the line driven doesn't match the real track too good ;-) and GPS accuracy reported (blue bubbles) is pretty low. So LapTimer is basically "blind" and will detect triggers where there are none and miss triggers actually passed.

So you need to work on your smartphone mounting position. Make sure it is installed like shown in illustration #3 of LapTimer's Quick Reference. For most cars centering it horizontally and vertically in the windscreen, and as much to the front as possible is the best place.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
oakleyposterboy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Hi Harry -

Thanks for the explanation.

I did have the mounting position the same as when I visited Thunderhill (same car). It is mounted on an arm in the center of my windscreen just below the rear-view mirror.

Please let me know if there are any tips or if there is some diagnostic I can run to check this out before my next track event.

Thanks again!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Accuracy needs to be improved for proper operation. I’d suggest you monitor Analysis / Real-time / GPS / Accuracy for your current mounting position. This is to understand the accuracy and stability you achieve currently. Once this is done, start to vary the mount position. Try to push it as far to the front as possible, try to move it down, you may even want to move it off the horizontal center position. Every car chassis has different shielding characteristics. Your windscreen May come with metal coating, with embedded antennas etc. All of this can influence reception. In case you can’t improve accuracy significantly, I recommend to add an external GPS.

Harry
Image Image Image Image