Advices for Beginner on Grand Prix edition

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
BenHype
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Advices for Beginner on Grand Prix edition

Post by BenHype »

Hello Everyone,

Happy to join the Harry's Laptimer community!
I have a trackday scheduled this Saturday. The track (Fay de Bretagne, France) is already pre loaded in the app.
I Have a GoPro Hero 7 BE, a Garmin Glo2 and an OBDLink LX.
I managed to connect the GLo2 and the GoPro. Not tried yet the OBDlink LX.

-I wanted to check if everything was working and I tried to record video with the app. However, as I was not on the track/close enough from the track, the app has not recorded anything. I would like to know how to record without being on a track.

-I will use only the Go Pro and not the internal camera. With this setting, is it possible to have a realtime display of the video ?

-Last, with my goPro Mount, the Gopro is upside down and I would liketo know if this is a potential issue (for the overlay of the speed and other informations for instance) ?

Sorry to ask those naive questions but I want to solve a maximum of potential issue before going to the track.

Thanks !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advices for Beginner on Grand Prix edition

Post by Harry »

Hello,

I do not recommend to start with this extended set of accessories when using LapTimer the first time. This is really an advanced setup and chances are good something will not work without experience.

You can start using LapTimer ahead of your track day: LapTimer includes a New Track assistant in Prepare Race. It allows you to set up a track around your home. Some features will not work perfectly (e.g. throttle calibration) when driving on public roads, but you can check the GLO or LX.

Realtime display of action cams is not supported. Please use the Timer View while driving, the Video Preview view is more for controlling the internal cam than for track use.

You can run your GoPro upside down using the upside down setting, yes.

To repeat, please start simple. Set up your track around the block and try it without an accessory first. Once you see laps are recorded automatically, add the GLO and/or LX. The action cam is the last item. It is the most complicated too because WiFi is used instead of BT for communication. You may want to operate the cam completely manually the first time on track. You can add videos recorded externally to LapTimer once you are back at home.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BenHype
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Advices for Beginner on Grand Prix edition

Post by BenHype »

Thanks Harry ! It's crystal clear. I will try this way,

Ben