Kiwi3 OBD dropping data during recording?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
anthonymckay
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Kiwi3 OBD dropping data during recording?

Post by anthonymckay »

This has been an ongoing issue with me. When I use my Kiwi3 with my iPhone 7+ and the latest version of HLT, OBD data from the Kiwi3 seems to drops intermittently throughout the lap. You can see a demonstration of this in my video from a track day last month below. Running this setup from a 2012 Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera. Any ideas of how I can deal with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_Te3NTyig
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi3 OBD dropping data during recording?

Post by Harry »

There are two expert settings you can test for cars not fully compatible:

1) Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ Adaptive Timing ‣ Enabled (instead of Optimized)
2) Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ ECUs Addresses ‣ ECM instead of ALL

Late LapTimer versions turn on a number of optimizations to get better update rates. This may result in the named problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
T4nkcommander
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by T4nkcommander »

Update: Changing parallel requests seems to have fixed my issue (alongside making sure the phone won't connect to the truck's infotainment system too).

I'm having this exact same issue, although with more uptime in between drops, with my OBDLink MX and Lemur Bluedriver. Ensuring my phone is disconnected from my truck helps, but does not eradicate the problem. Both adapter apps work fine, never dropping data, so the issue is with HLT.

I'm playing around in expert settings with the options Harry recommends, and hopefully will find something that works. Otherwise, going to have to see if I can record OBD data with another app and overlay it manually afterwards.
LIGISTX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by LIGISTX »

Harry wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm There are two expert settings you can test for cars not fully compatible:

1) Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ Adaptive Timing ‣ Enabled (instead of Optimized)

Late LapTimer versions turn on a number of optimizations to get better update rates. This may result in the named problems.

- Harry
I have a similar issue on a 2012 Mustang. I am using the TonWon OBD II, and it seems like it drops out intermittently. Don't mind the video exposure, the manual meeting decided not to work, stupid GoPro's...

https://youtu.be/CvkedpbqanI

Harry, would the same settings help here as well? This was my first time trying the app, and besides the video being horrible (which is my fault) it seems great! Just need to get the OBD II data working more correctly.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The second settings is always a good idea to set. Only in case you miss some channels after restricting ECUs (to ECM), one should use ALL.
In case you still get drop outs, please create a log as described in the FAQ (Debugging OBD Connections).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
T4nkcommander
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by T4nkcommander »

LIGISTX wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 am
Harry wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm There are two expert settings you can test for cars not fully compatible:

- Harry
I have a similar issue on a 2012 Mustang. I am using the TonWon OBD II, and it seems like it drops out intermittently. Don't mind the video exposure, the manual meeting decided not to work, stupid GoPro's...

https://youtu.be/CvkedpbqanI

Harry, would the same settings help here as well? This was my first time trying the app, and besides the video being horrible (which is my fault) it seems great! Just need to get the OBD II data working more correctly.

Thanks!
Don't forget disable parallel requests. If that still doesn't solve your issue, try reinstalling. Had to do so for a different issue and so far my OBD connection is working much better.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I know that reinstalling software is popular since MS Windows has been introduced. For LapTimer it simply means all settings the user has changed are reverted to default settings, and any laps recorded and not backuped externally are lost.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
LIGISTX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by LIGISTX »

Awesome, thanks for the info! I will hopefully have another event in a few weeks and will give these settings a try!
sleepy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sleepy »

I had the same issue, with engine RPM readout dropping to 0 frequently. Kiwi3 and iPhone 5s / SE.

In addition to the settings suggested above, the real culprit in my case was the video preview. I had a habit of checking video preview and just left it there, and when the recording started (either automatically or manually), OBD data would drop like crazy.

Now I close the video preview before HLT starts recording, and everything seems to work just fine. So just throwing this out there in case people are still having this issue.

HLT v22.1.4 / iPhone SE iOS 12.1.4 / Kiwi3
MX-5_4_NOS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MX-5_4_NOS »

Interesting. I can second this. I also had problems with OBD update rate and I frequently used the preview screen to record videos. In timer screen without preview OBD works much more stable. Thanks a lot.