Laptimer with Go Pro Hero 6

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
jaytee
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Laptimer with Go Pro Hero 6

Post by jaytee »

Hi Harry - just had an abbreviated track day at Road Atlanta, and LapTimer recognized my Hero6 and kicked off an automatic recording for the few laps I drove. I.e., it worked properly without any manual input.

Let me know if I can help with "official" Hero6 testing, or if you need additional information on my configuration.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks, please subscribe to the Announcements area, I will post once a beta is available.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cobbyboy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cobbyboy »

jaytee wrote:Hi Harry - just had an abbreviated track day at Road Atlanta, and LapTimer recognized my Hero6 and kicked off an automatic recording for the few laps I drove. I.e., it worked properly without any manual input.

Let me know if I can help with "official" Hero6 testing, or if you need additional information on my configuration.

Thanks!
My HLT always triggers the GoPro IF it triggers itself, which is less than 50% of the time at Road Atlanta. I am using IPhone 6 Plus with Bad Elf GPS. Just curious what your setup is and what I might be doing wrong. As it stands for me, HLT is close to useless at Road Atlanta, regardless of where I mount the phone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Make sure your device is mounted like shown in illustration #3 and 4 of LapTimer's Quick Reference. In case accuracy is still to low to catch the triggers, enlarge the detection corridor in Settings / Expert Settings / Trigger Detection / Wide Corridor. Default is 40 meters, try 80. Make sure you have loaded the correct track set too and watch LapTimer's self check (yellow or red alert in the status bar).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ratmbe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ratmbe »

hi,

the gopro hero 6 works fully with your application now? I can have one used.

thank you.

Best Regards,

Yves.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have no information on problems with the 6.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Jordan »

Harry wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm I do not have any experience with the Hero6 but can say that video stabilization has not been necessary since the Hero2. The problem with stabilization is that cams are optimized for a certain recording scenario. For smartphones and action cams this is the situation you hold the cam in you (shaking) hand. This is a completely different situation while on track. For smartphones, all stabilization features made the results worse. Or in other words: there is no reason to prefer the H6 over a H3 etc because it has this feature, it is probably the other way around.

As written in another thread, GoPro plans have changed since they have dropped their 3rd party developer program some weeks ago. I will probably add some tweaks for the H6 in v22, but the situation has become difficult... I tend to recommend older models with simple communication features now. This mean no Session either - they are hard to handle.

- Harry
Given your comments on this a year ago--- If someone were looking to buy a video camera today to use on the track, what would you recommend? The Hero 7 Black has the "HyperSmooth" "gimbal-like stabilization" but I don't know if that will suffer the same issues as smartphones, e.g., it's designed for hand shake not track shake. Is an older Hero (4? 5?) just as good for the track as the latest and greatest? What about a Garmin?

I did read the iOS section on action cams, but wanting to know what you and/or the community think at this stage.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Recent reports show a different issue with the HERO7: the encoding used bei GoPro is not fully supported by iOS. Videos can be transferred, and played, but decoding, adding overlays and encoding (i.e. Video Export) does not work. One user reported that videos recorded using factory settings (Reset H7) works, but once you play with resolution or fps, videos are incompatible.

I assume this will be fixed by some new iOS version, but currently a H6 or older is working better.

From a LapTimer only point of view, a HERO supporting 4K UHD at 60fps is the optimum. Anything beyond makes no sense, less (FullHD 60fps) is probably good enough already.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

Sideshow wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pmOr can I sync it manually?
You can always use a 3rd-party application to create videos. I use RaceRender to mix LapTimer data (with VBOX Sport and KiWi 3 on iPhone 6, no iPhone video recording) with video(s) from ol' iPhone 4S camera(s), full-time Opia 2 front and rear dashcams and a trackday-only BlackVue 2-channel dashcam recording the speedo/tach/center console and vehicle data on the media screen.

You can do pretty much anything using RaceRender, including overlays using various built-in widgets, modify/build widgets containing custom scripts/code, and mix and sync any number of data and video sources where the video can be adjusted (brightness, etc.), cropped and/or rotated/flipped. I've been using RaceRender for a couple of years and, while there's a bit of learning overhead, the flexibility is quite amazing.