How to get arbitrary OBD2 data logged out of Harry's Laptimer?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Tristor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

How to get arbitrary OBD2 data logged out of Harry's Laptimer?

Post by Tristor »

Howdy,

I bought Harry's Laptimer Grand Prix Edition and a PLX Devices Kiwi 3 for my track day today at Harris Hill Raceway in Texas. I hadn't done any sort of data logging on my previous track days and had felt like my car was running hot. I'm very specifically interested in my engine oil temperature and coolant temperature during my session on track, but I don't see any way to get this information out of the logging. As far as I can tell from the other tools I tried, the Kiwi 3 has picked up sends this data, so my assumption is that Harry's Laptimer did log this data, but I don't know how to make it display.

What I'd love to see is either the raw log data with timecode (so I can do my own analysis) or a way to output my avg and peak temperatures for each lap.

Anyone have any idea how I can accomplish this? I need some hard data to understand what my next investment should be (e.g should I install an engine oil cooler).

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to get arbitrary OBD2 data logged out of Harry's Laptimer?

Post by Harry »

You can see temperatures in real time in several views. Try Analysis / Realtime / Engine first. Not all cars deliver oil temperature through OBD, so you may need to use coolant instead (which is less informative). LapTimer v22 will come with custom PID support, so you may be able to add it here.

You can see temperature development for a Lap by selecting Lap List / a lap / Data Recordings / Preview / Charts. Temperatures are shown on one of the right most pages.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
GraemeI
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GraemeI »

I tried this Harry, but didn't see the temperatures. Heart rate was listed, but with no data (the data source is enabled in Health App), so not sure why that is either?
Thanks,
Graeme
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GraemeI wrote:I tried this Harry, but didn't see the temperatures. Heart rate was listed, but with no data (the data source is enabled in Health App), so not sure why that is either?
Thanks,
Graeme
I assume you know you needs an OBD adapter to get temperatures. Furthermore, not all cars deliver all temperatures through OBD II. Most provide coolant temperature, oil temperature is provided by less than half of cars used on track.

Heart rates require some health accessories delivering data into Health Kit. LapTimer GrandPrix accesses this data if available for the lap's time, but does not store / export it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image