LapTimer Failing to Connect to GoPro and Start Recording

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
GetBoosted
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

LapTimer Failing to Connect to GoPro and Start Recording

Post by GetBoosted »

These gopro issues have been plaguing me since I've bought Harry's and it's insanely annoying. 9 times out of 10, harry's will not connect and trigger recording w/ the gopro. The process I run through is below. I'm at my wits end with trying to get this thing to work.

Process:
- Shut down all apps in the task manager
- Enable bluetooth
- Start harry's
- Power on gopro
- Enable wifi
- Goto Race > Timer
- Click Video and change to PiP (3rd option from left)
- Click Done
- Wait for the external camera to connect and it doesn't 9 times out of 10 so die a little inside :evil:

Setup:
- Harry's Laptimer Grand Prix v21.0.11 (Settings: MultiCam Preset: PiP / External Cam: GoPro HERO4 SE/BE / HERO3/3+ Wifi Password: '')
- Google Nexus 5X (Android v7.1.2)
- GoPro 4 Silver (in app mode for the wifi conneciton)
- ELM327 OBD II dongle (bluetooth connection)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer Failing to Connect to GoPro and Start Recording

Post by Harry »

Hi Chris,

The process looks fine. One thing introduced in Android 7 is handling of WiFi connections not offering Internet access (like the GoPro WiFi). Once you connect to such a WiFi, Android will show an alert and ask you if you want to connect although the WiFi does not seem to offer Internet. You need to agree here - otherwise the device will disconnect in background. Messages and handling may differ by manufacturer specific Android adoptions. You are fine if you see a WiFi symbol with an exclamation mark in Android status bar.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GetBoosted
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by GetBoosted »

I am familiar with the message. That is a good point and that did come about w/ the more recent Android versions. I always click to connect anyway on that message when it pops up but I still seem to run into trouble. Any other things I can check?
GetBoosted
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by GetBoosted »

Bump... any other suggestions?
GetBoosted
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by GetBoosted »

Bumping it back up.
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Curious if you ever solved this? I too have a Hero 4 (Black) and have a lot of trouble getting Harry's Lap Timer to connect / recognize it even though I am connected via wifi.

My setup is that I am using:

Pixel 3 phone
XGPS 150 external GPS (bluetooth)
OBDLinkMX OBDII reader (bluetooh)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is a question about how a specific smartphone handles WiFi. I doubt there will ever be a general solution for this. Connecting to a HERO is as simple as any network access. The WiFi needs to work and the HERO needs to accept a connection. Once connected, LapTimer sends status requests constantly to keep the WiFi up and running.

In case LapTimer doesn’t connect although the GoPro WiFi is connected, make sure you kill GoPro’s app. It may Block access to the HERO even while in background.

In case anyone is annoyed how his/her Android handles WiFi, there is a simple workaround: start the cam before leaving the pits and stop it when you are back. No WiFi required at all. Instructions on how to add that video later are available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI

Harry
Image Image Image Image
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Good call, I also found this other thread which suggests this may be the issue I encountered yesterday at Laguna Seca -- that the wifi goes to sleep even though it says it's still active.

viewtopic.php?t=3161
GetBoosted
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by GetBoosted »

I've since updated my phone (went to the Pixel 3), the gopro (went to the 7 black) used, and OBD adapter (went to the OBDLink LX). Tried various combos with harrys and never had good luck so my solution was to just use phone recording and I use the go pro separate then I have to manually overlay the data by selecting the right frame from the gopro. It's a bit tedious though so I normally don't do it.

Phone video works well enough to just use that for my needs at least.