LapTimer failing to trigger my GoPro to record

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

LapTimer failing to trigger my GoPro to record

Post by b-stead »

Problem: I am running GrandPrix v21.0.7 and have a GoPro Hero Session. All things considered, Harry's does an excellent job as a timer. However, lately, it does not always start my GoPro recording when it should. As a result, I recently switched to Manual, thinking I could "start" everything in the pits and then just roll onto the track while everything is working (instead of wondering about it while I'm doing 100mph down the straight) -- and sadly, the manual setting still does not work. I haven't recorded any driving sessions the last two events.

- How can I get HLT to start a recording w my GoPro ? It WAS working previously, but fails like 80% of the time.

Any solution to this ?

Please help. Thanks.
B-Stead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer failing to trigger my GoPro to record

Post by Harry »

Please check for any change in configuration. In particular WiFi connection and any other app accessing the Session in parallel. For general issues with the Session, there would be a number of problem reports around already. I understand automatic triggering of *data recordings* is working, it is just the Session not triggering?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by b-stead »

No change in config. LapTimer works great. LapTimer shows no errors and even displays the red record light as if the GoPro is recording. That said, are you suggesting the problem may be with GoPro?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please make sure you have the latest version installed first. Next, run a manual test. Setup your GoPro connection as usual. Turn manual timing on in Settings. Enabled video recording for the GoPro (Video ‣ Video Operation). Make sure the GoPro is shown as connected. Press Start when back in Timer View. Does it work here? If not, return to Video Operation and enable both internal and external cam and try a start again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
b-stead
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by b-stead »

Success! I was able to start / stop the lap timer and record a video in doing so. My best guess is the GoPro's heat is causing the issue. The GoPro needs to be reset on occasion; seems it happens when it gets too hot sitting in the mount, with the wifi on, while waiting to be used for sporadic track sessions by HLT.

* I'll try it again on Friday when I'm at the track. I'll report what I find.

Thanks as always.
B-Stead