2017 Honda Civic Type R - No ECT or IAT showing on OBD

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
ginther
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

2017 Honda Civic Type R - No ECT or IAT showing on OBD

Post by ginther »

Hi, I have a 2017 Civic Type R and use an OBDLINK MX with HLT GP edition.

For the most part it works great but it doesn't seem to find the proper PIDs for ECT or IAT. Thus, it does not show a value nor log these data points.

I have used this same setup on other recent Hondas and have observed the same issue and I think it may be due to the fact that Honda now splits out IAT and ECT readings into multiple PIDS. Usually the one that's labeled #1 in the description is the "conventional" reading while the extra PIDs are at other sensor points (in the case of the coolant temps, ECT 2 is at the bottom of the radiator, while ECT 1 is the reading that's important). The OBDLink app allows me to select the exact PID that I need to display on its dashboard, but I want this information to be included in my HLT lap logs.

Is there any way that I can direct HLT to use the proper PIDs so I can properly log the ECT and IATs that I need to log? I tried checking the documentation but didn't see any way to identify or select specific PIDs.

thank you for an amazing product.

Attached is the screen shot of the reported PIDs
IMG_6812.gif
IMG_6812.gif (197.81 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Honda Civic Type R - No ECT or IAT showing on OBD

Post by Harry »

Actually I consider this a bad design... They remove standard OBD PIDs and replace them by custom PIDs instead of just adding them in top. Automotive industry tends to make everything proprietary in case they are not forced to comply by law...

The current LapTimer version 21 does nor support custom PIDs. I plan to add that for 22 (Spring 2018).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: 2017 Honda Civic Type R - No ECT or IAT showing on OBD

Post by gplracerx »

The various RaceCapture devices allow custom PID's and can also read the CAN bus directly, which is much faster if you know the correct CAN ID. They are compatible with HLT. I can't enthusiastically recommend them, though. They still need a lot of development, IMO.