2011 E90 M3 - oil Temperature

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Knight_Raider
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

2011 E90 M3 - oil Temperature

Post by Knight_Raider »

Hi Harry.

Thanks for the great app. I've only had it a few days but I like it a lot. :mrgreen:

So as you can tell, the OBD overlay does not show the oil temp. And of course, I would like to be able to see it. I've read on this forum and it seems this may be normal. I've been able to deduce that BMW probably doesn't send the standard PID for oil temp.

I have a Carly Adapter for my car. The Carly app can actually display the oil temp, so obviously it is possible to receive that data from the OBD. I guess it's just a matter of LapTimer recognizing this information.

Is there something I can do to be able to monitor the oil temp or will I have to wait for you to allow the monitoring of custom PIDs in a later version?

Just in case, I've included a pic of my sensor info...

Thanks for the help.

JF
Attachments
IMG_4087.jpg
IMG_4087.jpg (176.98 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2011 E90 M3 - oil Temperature

Post by Harry »

In case a manufacturer decides to not make certain PIDs available (like oil), it is possible to access the parameter nevertheless if a) the app supports custom PIDs and b) one has insights into the make/model's secret parameter information. LapTimer uses standard PIDs only currently. I have some sample custom PIDs collected and will add support in one or the other way in the future. It is pretty up in the list.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Knight_Raider
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: 2011 E90 M3 - oil Temperature

Post by Knight_Raider »

Thanks for the reply Harry!

If there is something I can do in the collection of "secret" PID parameter information, please let me know. If I can help bring more information out of BMWs via OBD, I won't hesitate to help.

Regards,

JF