Trouble with HLT Gran Prix working with GoPro Hero4 Silver

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Trouble with HLT Gran Prix working with GoPro Hero4 Silver

Post by RYU-NSX »

I can also control the GoPro Hero4 Silver just fine with the GoPro native app. So remote connectivity between smartphone and Hero4 is ok.
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

Also running on latest GoPro firmware.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hard to say from the distance. It looks like the HERO cannot be contacted by LapTimer. So I assume it is some lower level network issue of conflict. And please keep in mind the HERO 4 has a tricky power management. It will go to sleep without notice in case it is not accessed by an app for some time. So in case LapTimer cannot connect, please turn off the HERO, turn it on again, make sure your smartphone is connected to its WiFi, start LapTimer, and connect immediately. Once the connection is established (Video Operations), it will not go to sleep again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

Harry,. I tried that. Any other ideas?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The only thing you can do is resetting everything and going though the instructions step by step again. I know it is cumbersome, but I think the pieces have been exchanged already. There is no known general issue with HERO 4 Silver connections currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ragnarok0mega
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ragnarok0mega »

I've been having similar issues with my hero4 silver. It used to work (still does) with my old galaxy s6, however with my Google Pixel (Android 7.1.2) it does not. Wifi was connected, gopro app works just fine. Again it shows connected to WiFi on my phone, not just the gopro, however it would not connect to laptimer. I found somewhat of a workaround, if I set it to airplane mode with the WiFi on, it shows connected to the hero4 on laptimer. However it doesn't automatically start recording when I begin my run after I hit stage like it used to. I have a sneaking suspicion this has more to do with compatibility with laptimer and android 7 in how they communicate with the gopro but I could be completely wrong. Anything I can do to help find an answer?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

WiFi handling has changed for Android N on a technical level. Any issues I have seen during the beta have been fixed. I did all test with Android 7.1.2 by the way, although I mostly used an older HERO 3 for testing. All of this connection making with HEROs is pretty difficult and easy to screw up, so please double check and revisit the step-by-step connection description in LapTimer's Video Documentation. I can run a re-test not before end of May.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ragnarok0mega
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ragnarok0mega »

Thanks Harry,

I didn't find the instructions to be that complicated, and utilized then step by step in my set up, and the blue sand green dots were blinking every time, wifi connected and working and everything else would function, but it would not automatically start recording as it did in the past. Again it works just fine on my older phone, just not this one, and i had to do some work around for laptimer to even SEE the hero 4. The only thing I can think of is the newer Android or maybe the phone itself