Polar H7 heart sensor & Healthkit

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Polar H7 heart sensor & Healthkit

Post by devenh »

Harry,

I haven't been able to see heart rate data in Grand Prix 20.2.4 on an iPhone 6 iOS 10.2.1 and I am trying to figure out why.

After searching the forums, I see HLT supports Healthkit devices. I believe my Polar H7 heart sensor is compatible as Polar supplies iPhone apps and the heart rate data does show up in the Apple Health app as well as other apps such as MapMyRide.

When I'm in HLT, should I be able to see the Polar sensor on "Sensor List" page? If not, where in HLT can I confirm that it is getting the heart rate data?

Thanks,

Deven
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar H7 heart sensor & Healthkit

Post by Harry »

LapTimer accesses HeathKit stored data when overlaying videos or showing graphs in Data Recording. It does not connect to health sensors directly but requires iOS to connect, receive and store data. It will not show health sensors in Sensor List. So make sure your H7 is connected while driving and use LapTimer as usual. In case health data has been available during a session, you will get the heart / plus in video overlays.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvilMM
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by EvilMM »

Hi,

I am not sure how to get heart rate data. Do I have to start a workout for that?

Klaus
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

EvilMM wrote:Hi,

I am not sure how to get heart rate data. Do I have to start a workout for that?

Klaus
I assume you are addressing the Watch, not the H7? For the watch, you should enable Workout Mode to get the higher update rate for heart rate measurements. Otherwise the watch will generate one measurement for a lap (or more laps)... Using Workout, you get 0.5 Hz if I remember well. That's good enough usually. For the H7, someone else needs to answer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
racepace
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by racepace »

For the H7, it updates at 1Hz. In order for HealthKit to see data from the H7, you need to be sure to pair the device on iOS via the phone's Bluetooth directly and NOT via the Polar app.
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Harry wrote:LapTimer accesses HeathKit stored data when overlaying videos or showing graphs in Data Recording. It does not connect to health sensors directly but requires iOS to connect, receive and store data. It will not show health sensors in Sensor List. So make sure your H7 is connected while driving and use LapTimer as usual. In case health data has been available during a session, you will get the heart / plus in video overlays.
I have gotten the heart rate to show up on a video once. But most often not. At an autocross event today I tried several configurations, but the heart rate graph was always blank. In the Health app, Laptimer is allowed to read the heart rate data. The Polar H7 is listed as a device source.

Does any app (whether Apple or Polar) have to be running to record the health data? I'm wondering whether Polar Beat needs to be running because it is listed in the Health app as allowed to write heart rate data?

Or does iOS automatically record the data when connected to the H7 sensor? If so, is there a way to check to see if the data is being recorded?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As written above, recording and storing health data is independent from LapTimer operation, it is something between iOS’s Health Kit and the H7. You can check if data for a specific time range is available using Apple’s Health app.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

I checked the Health app and it looks like it is recording the heart rate data. So my question is when does HLT read the data? If I am autocrossing, when I finish a run and come to a stop, should I be able to go to the Lap List and look at the charts of my latest lap and see the bpm? Or does something else have to happen?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer reads data from Health Kit when it needs it. Data is never stored in LapTimer itself. It is read when overlaying videos or analyzing data (Data Recordings ‣ Charts and ‣ Laps).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Five runs of autocross today and not one picked up the heart rate data. Apple Health sure looks like it is recording the data. In Health, I tap on Health Records, Vitals, Today, Show All Data, Oct 14, 2017 and I see the recorded data. In Health Sources, LapTimer is allowed to read the Heart Rate.

Anything I should try tomorrow to get it working?