[SOLVED] Problem with RPM display

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

[SOLVED] Problem with RPM display

Post by tipounastre »

Hi Harry,

I could not wait... I have just received my PLX Kiwi and could connect it to my iPhone 4s and HLT with no issue... good stuff... was amazed by the HLT reading speed out of the OBD... refresh rate is much better than out of the iPhone GPS! Gear calculation is also working great!

So far all went well, except for the display of the Engine RPM. I have setup my RS4 data:
- Max Torque = 430 NM @ 5500 RPM
- Max Power = 420 PS @ 7800 RPM
- Max RPM = 8250 RPM
- Shift Flash = 95%

The speedo view shows following:
- regular background = 0 to 5500 RPM
- green area = 5500 to 7800 RPM
- read area = 7800 to 16000 RPM

I've attached 2 screenshots from the iPhone - it is pretty disturbing to see a red zone from 7800 to 1600 RPMs :-)

Have I done anything wrong or is there a bug to be fixed?

Many thanks and have a great night:-)
Attachments
Vehicule Data screenshot
Vehicule Data screenshot
photo(1).PNG (104.5 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Engine RPM screenshot
Engine RPM screenshot
photo.PNG (189.79 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with RPM display

Post by Harry »

Hi,

LapTimer comes with two scales for the RPM meter: one for cars up to 8000rpm and one for motorbikes up to 16000rpm. As your max rpm is above 8000, LapTimer chooses the motorbike scale. As your car tries to, but is not a real motorbike :-) , the display looks a little odd. I'd suggest to simply change your max rpm to 8000. This will change the display. The only thing that changes except the scale, are the max speeds per gear in the small chart in Vehicle Details.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

Thanks for the quick answer - I've done the changes and will try them out tomorrow... and you're right my car is not a motorbike... I can also release the horses on rain & snow with 25°C inside and Mozart along with the V8 music :-)
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

Hi Harry,

I have tried as you suggested to set the max RPM to 8000. It did not change anything in the display. I then tried to set it to 7999 and the RPM display remains unchanged.

Thanks for your support,
Jerome
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi again,

Checked this again, the scale is currently set according to the RPM at max power, not the max RPM. So please change this, you should see the effect immediately. I will change the scaling to use the max RPM in v15.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

Thanks Harry. The RPM at max power is already at 7800, which is under 8000. So what value should I give it?

In addition I have two other vehicules (go-kartings) with high revs. Could it be that it is taking them into consideration even though I've selected the RS4?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The implementation for the scale has not been updated after introduction of max RPM (I believe I introduced it in v14). So what I did before max RPM introduction is that I used the RPM at max power, added a little contingency (I believe 10%), and made finally sure this resulting number is visible within the scale. So you need to set max power RPM * 10% < 8000 to get the 8000rpm scale. As stated above, I have updated v15 already to use max RPM. So this will go away when it becomes available.

- Harry

P.S. LapTimer always uses the currently selected vehicle for display, so the kart has no influence.
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

OK Thanks Harry - so I'll leave it as is and wait for v15.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes ;-)
Image Image Image Image