autosport labs MK2, can/engine, gps, but no gyro?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

autosport labs MK2, can/engine, gps, but no gyro?

Post by MrBlah »

Does harry's laptimer support the autosport labs MK2 accel/gyro?

Using an MK2 with latest firmware, I have the accel/gyro set to 50hz to match the gps, but the app is still defaulting to the phones built in gyro/accel

this this to be expected?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: autosport labs MK2, can/engine, gps, but no gyro?

Post by gplracerx »

Harry can confirm this, but I believe that is the case. HLT only uses the GPS data, not the IMU data.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer integrates with engine and GPS channels only currently. The IMU part didn't look like worth the effort so far. In case more users adopt to the system, this may change.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by MrBlah »

With the new one coming out, 50hz GPS with can bus or obd support for under 300$ I bet a lot more will start to run them, I'm going to get another one
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The question is whether the gyro, accelerometer and magnetometer (compass) modules in the RaceCapture are higher quality and have lower noise levels than the ones in smart phones. I haven't seen any data one way or the other. If they're not, there's not much point in using that data other than you can put the smart phone anywhere if you do. If the shipping date doesn't slip again, I should be getting one in early November.
coltma
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by coltma »

gplracerx wrote:The question is whether the gyro, accelerometer and magnetometer (compass) modules in the RaceCapture are higher quality and have lower noise levels than the ones in smart phones. I haven't seen any data one way or the other. If they're not, there's not much point in using that data other than you can put the smart phone anywhere if you do. If the shipping date doesn't slip again, I should be getting one in early November.
Just got one as a beta tester of the "little one". ASL call it as RCT(RaceCapture Track) to differentiate from RCP(RaceCapture Pro, the big brother).

With the official RaceCapture android app it works quite smooth. But the OBD part still need more work to handle my BMW F30, only RPM logging working through the OBD. :(

And with the Harry's Laptimer (both Android and IOS), it just sleep. HLT can find both OBD & GPS device after some config, but no data out. Maybe something wrong with the ASL's wifi bridge? I'll keep testing with them:)

BTW, I will vote for external gyro data logging in HLT. It's so hard to mount my phone 100% safety & stable on the driving side. But the RCT is a FEATHERWEIGHT boy that can be easily stick to any where on my dashboard. Nothing to worry and nothing to lose!

At the same time, the gyro and accelerometer was far more liquid than my both smartphone. If you wish, you can even set the sample rate at 50hz to match the RCT's 50hz GPS data. The work just worth it, believe me Harry. :p
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you log at 50 Hz, you should raise the accelerometer sample rate to 100 Hz in LapTimer. It should always be a multiple of the GPS rate. Sample rates on smartphones are 100 Hz and more too.

On the WiFi integration. Do you have set the WiFi connection parameters entered in LapTimer's Expert Settings? Furthermore, you need to select the channels required by LapTimer to get it working. I can provide you with a settings file I used for the RCP.

I need to add I have a RCP to test only and I'm waiting for Brent to send a WiFi connector prototype for testing. Or the other way around - I hope the RCT will behave the same as the RCP.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
coltma
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by coltma »

Thanks Harry, I'll remember the multiple thing.

In laptimer, I set the bridge address to 192.168.4.1:9223. The RCT OBD channel was set to RPM only and in GPS channel I enabled everything. I'll try to disable a little. Can you send me your RCP profile? I'll check it too.

Yes RCP & RCT should behave the same. Hope I can fix the setting problem tonight.
coltma
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by coltma »

Harry wrote:In case you log at 50 Hz, you should raise the accelerometer sample rate to 100 Hz in LapTimer. It should always be a multiple of the GPS rate. Sample rates on smartphones are 100 Hz and more too.

On the WiFi integration. Do you have set the WiFi connection parameters entered in LapTimer's Expert Settings? Furthermore, you need to select the channels required by LapTimer to get it working. I can provide you with a settings file I used for the RCP.

I need to add I have a RCP to test only and I'm waiting for Brent to send a WiFi connector prototype for testing. Or the other way around - I hope the RCT will behave the same as the RCP.

Harry
Tested with your RCP conf file, failed too. I think it's the problem of the new wifi interface.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you want to help, please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1933&p=9953#p9953 to debug RCT connection making and communication. Please enable the following trace classes

GPS Sensors
OBD Sensors
Sensor Connection

and start tracing before making the connection and stop it once you see all attempts to connect and communicate have failed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image