Better Calculated Acceleration Smoothing Setting

Request and discussion on new / to change features
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Better Calculated Acceleration Smoothing Setting

Post by gplracerx »

I find that the smoothing I need is near the far right of the scale and the adjustment is way too fiddly for my fat fingers. Plus and minus buttons or some other form of fine adjustment that doesn't change when you take your finger off the screen would help a lot.

I've thought of a possible way to do this automatically by comparing the integrated yaw rate, derived from the speed and lateral acceleration, to the GPS heading and adjusting the smoothing for best fit. I would try it, but I can't reliably set different smoothing levels in the range of interest.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Better Calculated Acceleration Smoothing Setting

Post by gplracerx »

Well, I tried it with very light and fairly heavy smoothing. The conclusion is that even light smoothing introduces major artifacts in the lateral acceleration, which can be seen by calculating yaw rate and integrating it to get heading and comparing to the measured GPS heading. Image

The red points are the GPS measured heading, The green points are from HLT recalculated lateral acceleration heavily smoothed and the purple crosses are from lightly smoothed HLT recalculated lateral acceleration. I guess it's better than nothing, and might be OK for track data when the yaw rate isn't as high as it is in autocross, but....