Start lap timer at last sector

Request and discussion on new / to change features
matteb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Start lap timer at last sector

Post by matteb »

Our club has recently changed the way we enter the track so we don't get to cross the start/finish line before the race starts, this means that the lap timer does not start or connect to the external camera until after I cross the start finish line after the race start. Is there a way to change this to start at the third sector, or any previous sector which is passed so that all video and data can be recorded?

Also, in our race division we aren't allowed to have any numbers displayed on the screen of our phones during qualification or races, is there a way to make the app record all information with the screen turned off but to act as if it were on as normal?

I have the grand Prix version of the app if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your support, I thoroughly love this app!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Start lap timer at last sector

Post by Harry »

There is no option to start recorded early in an automatic way. There is a feature request around asking for a start video trigger, but this is not yet implemented. What can be done is to start recording manually in the pits. To do this, goto LapTimer ‣ Settings and enable Manual Timing. This will add a large Stop button to Timer View you can use to start a recording in the pits. You need to enable video recording in Video Operation as usual. This "mixed mode" recording is described in Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

The screen needs to be turned on all the time. What can be done is switching to Black skin (iOS) and dim the screen to the min. This will look like a blank screen.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
matteb
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by matteb »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your fast response!

I have tried the manual recording however it doesn't seem to log the lap times as it would normally and I have stopped using the feature due to the issues. When in automatic I get all the lap times separately and the recording will all happen as it should, manual tends to just make one "lap" which will be as long as I have allowed to app to record for even if 10 minutes or more.

As for the screen dimming, I am using android so I can probably dim it a bit with the operating system, however I can be disqualified from the race for having numbers on the screen (even if they are too small to read (it's stupid, I know)) is there any chance you can write an ability to turn the screen off while recording into the next revision? I use the phone as forward video and a gopro as rear video, so I still want the phone mounted in the regular position if possible.

Thanks again for all your help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please try again. Any manual recording is interrupted when a trigger is found. You may have had a problem with GPS reception or a missing track set when you tested it the last time.
As for the screen dimming, I am using android so I can probably dim it a bit with the operating system, however I can be disqualified from the race for having numbers on the screen (even if they are too small to read (it's stupid, I know)) is there any chance you can write an ability to turn the screen off while recording into the next revision? I use the phone as forward video and a gopro as rear video, so I still want the phone mounted in the regular position if possible.
In case they take it that serious, you may want to comply with their regulations and use LapTimer as follows: install LapTimer in a place you (and the sergeants) can't see LapTimer. In case this place does not have full GPS reception (which is what I'd expect), add an external GPS. I have the request on my list but can't give you any ETA currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

To avoid showing the timer screen when running with LapTimer, I just leave mine on the video preview screen when I run.
I also mount the phone on my windsheild to the right of the rear view mirror, so I can't even really see the screen at all when I'm on the track.