Incomplete Lap Recordings

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Incomplete Lap Recordings

Post by Harry »

Please select one of the incomplete laps from Lap List. What is shown in the Recording row in section Event?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jsnedecor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Jsnedecor »

Sorry I am not good enough to post a screenshot. It says incomplete and in the map it stops nowhere near any other point of interest. There were no split times in the AMP map either so that may not be a factor.

Jack
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k., this means the problem is related to LapTimer v20's automatic termination of laps once "back in the pits". The later is triggered automatically when LapTimer sees a speed of nearly zero for more than 3 minutes. This at least is the rule that should be applied. So there are several possible scenarios: 1) the code is buggy 2) zero speed *is delivered* due to a broken OBD connection or GPS information.

Those you experiences the problem, can you please send feedback on the device used and whether you used an external GPS or OBD adapter? In case you didm which one?

Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi again,

I'm almost sure it is a problem with a dropped OBD connection. LapTimer detects "back in the pits" situations using a general function for speed. This function delivers OBD (wheel speed) in case an OBD sensor is connected and falls back to GPS otherwise. In case the OBD sensor connection drops for whatever reason, this function will deliver speed 0 until the sensor is completely disconnected.

I have switched the "back in the pits" validation to use GPS only for the next bugfix release. In case there is no GPS either, recording will not work at all anyway.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jsnedecor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Jsnedecor »

What you are saying make sense except I did run without the odb plugged in for a session and the behavior was the same. I will see what happens with your update when available.

Just for info, iPhone 5, XGPS150, BT1 on blue tooth and a gopro3 white on wireless but not used often.

Jack
Fcat360
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Fcat360 »

I have been having a similar problem since I upgraded to never version this spring. It also seems to have a problem if I get aggressive and the G-florces (0.8G and above) convince the phone to flip orientation (iPhone 6). Any idea how to stop that?

I just upgraded to the lasted APP just now and will find out tomorrow.

It was so reliable til this spring. If I'm lucky, I can get about 1/2 to 2/3 of my runs at Mosport to work.

The speed records as zero on the screen, but in the files it seem fine.

Is my OBD2 fried?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The rotation issue is probably the same like the automatic stop detection. LapTimer locks screen rotation once speed is above a certain threshold. In case LapTimer receives 0 speed from the adapter, it will allow rotation when it probably shouldn't.

LapTimer v20.0.7 has the OBD reconnect issue (engine off/on) fixed - this should fix both the I complete lap detection and the rotation item.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

I can report that I did not have this issue at my track day yesterday. It was at Carolina Motorsports Park and not Road Atlanta but it worked none-the-less.

Not so sure about the OBD speed theory. The OBD speed is one of the PIDs that I exclude (I just use GPS speed so I can get a faster RPM sample rate) so I'm not sure it is part of the issue. It is also strange how it always happens every other lap.

Either way, I didn't have a problem with incomplete lap recordings at any point yesterday so maybe this issue is solved.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The case OBD speed is not available at all has been handled by falling back to GPS before the change...
Anyway, covering all configuration is complex and hopefully we have everything going now.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Fcat360
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Fcat360 »

It seems that getting the Latimer to recognise the Dual GPS is not automatic any more. That was part of my problem. I have to stop and start it each time.

However the realtime display still does not show the actual speed, but it's evidently recorded in the file since the overlay shows it on replay.
Strange.

The update blasted out all my previous laps going back almost two years form multiple tracks as well as challenges. Also lost the car profile and past tracks.

I have deleted all laps and the app is still taking 22GB on my phone. Tried a couple of times to clean the database to no avail. So I'm thinking of deleting and re installing as the only solution.