Hero+

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
vmbray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Hero+

Post by vmbray »

It seems like a reasonable assumption that the new lower end camera would work with HLT but has anyone tried it? Says it's shipping to US and Canada only at the moment.

http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/heroplus- ... B-101.html
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hero+

Post by Harry »

I will check with GoPro if it is handled like a HERO3/3+ or a 4. I see no reason it should not work.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sorry, it seems I have been wrong. GoPro tells me the HERO LCD is not supported for 3rd party communication. Needs to be checked, it is hard to believe.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

I just received a Hero+ LCD as a "gift" and I can confirm it is NOT working with Laptimer...

Harry - are there any "diagnostics" that I can run to determine communication parameters? Not sure how to determine the Hero+LCD IP address... that would be my first step...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can follow instructions on logging data in the "How to send trace logs" FAQ here on the forum. Please turn on the External Cam trace class only and make sure you log the complete cycle from switching on external cam in Video Operation.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

CORRECTION: I seem to have the Hero+LCD working as a Hero-4 in Laptimer. I have yet to try it in actual driving conditions, but I seem to be able to sit here at my desk and have my Android phone connect wirelessly to the Hero+LCD... I can manually start a recording both on phone and on the Hero+... it seems to not be reliable, but I need more "practice" with it to learn all of the quirks.

I'm also able to download directly into LapTimer like a Hero-4. In my previous testing, I set it as a Hero-3 and this definitely didn't work, but setting as a Hero-4 seems to work.

Ensuring the Hero+ is connected to Wifi first is one of the keys.... also not using the GoPro App itself prior to using Laptimer seems to help.

For setup, you need to set the Wifi in the Hero+ to "GoPro App" mode... then use the GoPro App to get the cam setup, etc. After that... I use Android WiFi setting to manually connect to the cam's Wifi prior to launching Laptimer.

How long the connection will hold to LapTimer while waiting on a starting grid is unknown at the point...

BOTTOM LINE: Hero+ seems to be a possibility.... even without "3rd party support"...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Not sure everything is fine for the log sent... It looks like he HERO+ does not use 10.5.5.9 as the cam's IP address? Can you please check this? I do not any valid replies on status requests (from the cam) either, instead a HP printer is responding with some html page. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry wrote:....Not sure everything is fine for the log sent... It looks like he HERO+ does not use 10.5.5.9 as the cam's IP address? Can you please check this? I do not any valid replies on status requests (from the cam) either, instead a HP printer is responding with some html page. :-)
- Harry
Thanks for looking at the logfile. How do I check the IP address of the cam on an Android phone? I don't see where to look for that?

But, you are correct: "All is NOT fine".

I can see the Hero+ in the sensors list - its states it is connected as (1) satellite ... Clicking the info, Laptimer show its battery life , number of videos, etc.

When I go into to Timer, then Video... it seems as the cam is ready from the messages... but the dialog box that offers a "Preview" has a spinning icon in the top bar (perhaps that is always there even with just an internal cam?).

When I start a manual recording, the internal cam starts, but the Hero_ mostly does not start. Instead there is a single beep from the cam...then a delay of about 3 seconds... another single beep. then after a while there is a triple beep.... and another triple beep. The red light does not flash during this. and about half the time the Hero+ gets locked up and goes braindead... requires a soft reset (hold power button down 20 seconds.

On a few occasions the Hero+ DID start recording... I'm still trying to see if I can recreate this "success"... but its hit or miss.

Interestingly, I do seem to be able to access the video on the Hero+ in the Video list, and also download them... but it is horrendously SLOW (as you have noted elsewhere)

I will attempt to create another logfile with various actions... like checking sensors list, video list... then a manual recording attempt... would that help?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The best tool in the world to see local network details is named "Fing" and available on AppStore and PlayStore. It is free.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

Thanks Harry... I used a different app, but was able to determine that the Hero+ does indeed use 10.5.5.9 as its IP address, with my Android phone set to 10.5.5.100. I'm still 'playing' around with it. The Hero+ is prone to dropping the Wifi connection, and also connecting but not supplying my phone with its address. Thus far, if I do a soft-reset of the Hero+, and if the phone gets its 10.5.5.100 address... and if the connection holds... then when I start LapTimer, I can check the "sensors" screen and see the Hero+ as a Hero4, including its battery life, number of videos, etc. Then going into Timer, I can occasionally get a manual recording to trigger both the Hero+ and the phone video.

I'll keep 'experimenting' and try to get a trace to you of both a 'success' and a 'failure'... thus far its quite 'flaky' and I'm trying to figure out what sequence of events leads to stable operation. Its most likely the Hero+, which has shown itself to be unstable even with the GoPro App.