Kiwi 3

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi 3

Post by Harry »

There is actually only one tweak for the Kiwi3 you need to know: Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ CAN Multi Requests. Set it to 3 / adaptive for a CAN car like your 991. You should get something beyond 35 PIDs / s or 7 Hz displayed. Btw. if you see an update rate of e.g. 4 Hz, this means you get TPS and RPM 4 times a second each.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brian54
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian54 »

Harry wrote:There is actually only one tweak for the Kiwi3 you need to know: Expert Settings ‣ OBD Tweaks ‣ CAN Multi Requests. Set it to 3 / adaptive for a CAN car like your 991. You should get something beyond 35 PIDs / s or 7 Hz displayed. Btw. if you see an update rate of e.g. 4 Hz, this means you get TPS and RPM 4 times a second each.

- Harry
Thanks Harry, after fighting through some "false negatives" (e.g. changed the setting you noted, but only in HLT; forgot to also do GPS/OBD Buddy; so wasn't seeing any differences), I'm now getting around 7 or 8 Hz indicated on the Engine view. But I'm still not seeing what I would expect, so maybe my expectation is just wrong? But with the engine running, the RPM gauge in the upper left of the Engine view only shows the current RPM and throttle changes every 5 or 6 seconds, which is what I was seeing before on the video overlay before making the CAN Multi Request tweak.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

For throttle, please make sure you are driving and not just idling in the drive way. Throttle needs calibration (all values between idle and full throttle need to occur before it shows valid values between 0 and 100%). Not sure I understand what you mean by "only see the current RPM"? Engine view is a real time view and displays current values only. And what do you expect to see ("not seeing what I would expect")?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brian54
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian54 »

Harry wrote:Hi,

For throttle, please make sure you are driving and not just idling in the drive way. Throttle needs calibration (all values between idle and full throttle need to occur before it shows valid values between 0 and 100%). Not sure I understand what you mean by "only see the current RPM"? Engine view is a real time view and displays current values only. And what do you expect to see ("not seeing what I would expect")?

- Harry
I was expecting to see the RPMs and throttle position move along with my inputs (in a fairly smooth manner), not change value only every 5 seconds. I was just revving in the garage due to bad weather outside, so it sounds like I need to do a proper shakedown/test drive now that I've made the ODB tweak.

Thanks!
onemanracing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by onemanracing »

Quick feedback/question. I have a Kiwi3 (shipped May 18) and a Vbox Sport unit. Both units start up and connects to HLT flawlessly and on my BMW E91 320d LCI (MY10) the app happily shows everything but on my BMW E90 330i (MY05) it complains that the OBD refresh rate is not as high as expected.

Is this the regular BMW CAN/OBDII issue or can I do some tweaking in the expert settings?
/Mats Strandberg
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The E90 will come with a pre CAN bus, so please turn of CAN Multi Requests in Expert Settings. The E91 will have a CAN bus and will get higher rates using the named setting. In case you had not turned this feature on for the E90, try switching Adaptive Timing from Optimized to Enabled.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
onemanracing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by onemanracing »

Thanks, as suspected regarding the CANbus then.

Are the settings saved as a separate set per car? So if I change the settings for one car it's not interfering if I switch to another car?
That would be most excellent.
/Mats Strandberg
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it is one of the settings that should be car specific but is global in the current version. The E91 will work with Multi Requests disabled too - although slower than possible.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ottacat »

I'm having really erratic results with the Kiwi 3. I have a 2008 Nissan 350Z. The Kiwi and HLT connect just fine however the connect rate jumps all over the place. It goes from zero to 4 Hz (never any higher) and then down to 2 Hz, then 1 Hz, then nothing and then it starts bouncing again. This is really frustrating. I contacted PLX and they say all new versiosn shipped out are at firmware level 15.0.0.3 so I assume there may be an issue with their latest firmware. I'm using an iPhone and IOS 9.3.2 (latest).

Any suggestions of tweaks to the advanced settings that may help would be greatly appreciated.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sounds like in issue with the car's replies. Please follow instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1933 and log a section including this drops in update rate. Use trace class "OBD Sensors" only please because logs will get too big otherwise.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image