Video Auto-Focus issue with iOS5

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Richard
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Video Auto-Focus issue with iOS5

Post by Richard »

Hi Harry,

I just noticed that my iPhone video goes in and out of focus when I move the phone around, some research I did suggests this is due to a new feature with iOS5; the iPhone video camera requires you to 'tap' the screen to identify the area you want to focus on and then hold your finger to lock focus and exposure (AE/AF lock.)

This makes the videos captured via LapTimer not very impressive :( I can't downgrade my phone to iOS4 to fix the issue either.

Would it be possible for you to either:

1) provide the same iOS5 'tap and hold' feature within the LapTimer app (this would be ideal)
2) disable the new autofocus 'feature' in iOS5? Not sure if there are multiple ways to interface with the video camera in iOS5 (maybe there is a backwards compatible library you can use?)
3) permanently lock focus at a long focal point (not sure if you have access to that kind of control of the camera)

thanks for building an amazing app!

Richard
USA
iPhone 4 (Model MC318LL)
iOS 5.0.1
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Auto-Focus issue with iOS5

Post by Harry »

Hi Richard,

That's a known problem introduced in iOS5. My experience is it still works pretty well on track - at least as long as you do not have a car directly in front of you. In-town traffic generates a lot of refocussing, disturbing the LapTimer pleasure a lot :-) This is the reason LapTimer v15 will have a lock focus feature pretty much as you describe (it will focus to the center of the video). This feature is implemented in Optrix VideoPro 14.5 already.

LapTimer v15 will be available in spring.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Richard
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Video Auto-Focus issue with iOS5

Post by Richard »

Thanks Harry, you're the man. (I hope that saying translates ok!)