Android N

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Android N

Post by bozosTelemetry »

I know, I know, but I've already installed it.
I'm a developer, so I like to inspect and play with the latest software

I have a Nexus 6 and I installed Android N, first public beta, which has since received an OTA update.

Harry's Laptimer seems to start, and hasn't crashed except, when I try and add the GP upgrade

I have a track day tomorrow and I wanted to try and use HLT to connect and control my GoPro instead of screwing around with dashware after the fact.

As soon as I click on the in app purchase of GP upgrade the app crashed and restarts.

Any suggestions? (not including reset and downgrade to Marshmallow)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android N

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Android N limits more types of network access to background threads. This means network operations performed on the main thread will raise an exception for N where older Android version accepted it. This needs to be fixed until Android N is going public. ;-) Critical network communication I know of is any server communication. So to use LapTimer with N, please turn Online Racing off currently. It is possible this is the reason the GP upgrade fails too - for Tracks this is the position the Hall of Fame is retrieved (and the server is accessed). In case N still crashes after having switched Online Racing to None, you need to stay with Petrolhead until LapTimer is N-ready. :-)

Keep my fingers cross although I assume you know what you are doing installing prerelease software. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bozosTelemetry »

How do I turn online off?
Under settings as soon as I touch online it restarts, catch 22?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Last pointer please, I'm heads down on v20 stability for production Android versions. ;-) I will turn to Android N later this year.
The setting is the second one in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Online Racing. Set Publish to Never and LapTimer will not connect to the server backend. I can't say if other Android N specific network access exists, so please be prepared to crash.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bozosTelemetry »

That seems to have worked.
It crashed and restarted several times, but one of those times it got to Google Play and once GP took over the thread it completed the transaction. Restarted a few more times and got "Add on installation completed" or something to that effect.
Now Multicam Control settings appear in the Settings
As I said, I have a track day today, so if it crashes I'll just drive and not worry about the app, but I'll see if I can get it to work.
For now, I'll leave the Online Racing set to Never.

Thanks!
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bozosTelemetry »

FWIW: I finished the track day, but when I click "Analyze" it crashes and restarts.
I have a spare Nexus that I'm going to downgrade to M.
I'd like to preserve the data collected on N and copy it to the M device.
Any pointers on copying data using `adb` since I can't use any of the Networking functionality?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Analyse crashed for 20.0.3 (in case you had track sets with more than 8 splits) but is fixed in 20.0.4. This one is most probably not related to N. In case a standard Export to .hlptrl does not work (have you tested this?), you can pull all *.pdb files using adb. Take care to grab all, a subset cannot be used.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer v20.0.6 will come with some tweaks to Android N network operations. Not sure I covered all, but at least this which generated crash logs so far. So please re-enable Publish with "Lapping" to test if it works.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bozosTelemetry »

Just checking in on Android N.
I'm off to the track next week, can I use my N phone, or do I have to borrow an M?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I do not see any recent crashes for Android N, but haven't started official support yet. So try but be prepared to have a backup.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image