Trouble with HLT Gran Prix working with GoPro Hero4 Silver

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Trouble with HLT Gran Prix working with GoPro Hero4 Silver

Post by RYU-NSX »

Would someone with experience pairing the new Android (latest Nexus 5x) version of Grand Prix Harry's Lap Timer with a Gopro Hero4 Silver be able to help me get this things to talk to each other?

I've read a ton of documentation. This is my 3rd day trying. All my devices have been rebooted but still no luck with the app using my gopro as the remote cam.

Screen shots here if they will help. Thanks guys.

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with HLT Gran Prix working with GoPro Hero4 Silver

Post by Harry »

Please read the step-by-step section "Preparing External Cams for Recording" in http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... hapter.pdf. Two items important for the HERO4: 1) it has no power on via WiFi like the HERO3. This means you need to turn it on manually - and not just the WiFi module 2) it turns off WiFi silently when not used. It still displays the WiFi icon, but the smartphone disconnects. One connected and having video recording active, LapTimer will constantly contact it and make it stay alive.

You settings look fine otherwise.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

I have read and followed these instructions before. i also tried it again.

Have 2 questions please.

1. What are the two settings explained here? I see the "GoPro App" as setting #1 but I cannot pair the "Wi-Fi Remote" option. Is this my problem? Do I need to disable/uninstall the GoPro proprietary app from my phone?

3. Make sure you have set the correct Wi-Fi mode for the action cam. Action cams often with two modes of

control: some proprietary remote controls and a Wi-Fi based app communication. Select the later.

2. What does it mean when the GoPro 4 icon is displayed? Does this not mean the GoPro4 is connected to the app?

Thank you for your help. I'm struggling getting this to work.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

1) The HERO needs to run in WiFi mode "GoPro App". This actually means "connected to a smartphone, not a GoPro Remote Control". The GoPro app on the smartphone should not be active and neither run in background. So please make sure it is killed. An uninstall is not necessary.
2) The placeholder means LapTimer is "seeing" a HERO4. Pressing the button in the top left should start video recording locally and for your HERO. The red button is for ad hoc recording only. Video recording is triggered by LapTimer usually.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

I finally got the video recording to work by clicking on the "VIDEO" icon shown in the 4th screen shot on my first post. However, enabling video mode does not allow me the ability to see the Lap timer. If in Lap Timer view and on track, will the video recording from the hero4 turn on automatically?

This is my first time using HLT, pardon the newbie question.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For LapTimer v19 (Android), you need to use the internal cam whenever an external cam should be controlled. In addition, to record videos with the internal cam, the Video View needs to be active. So the answer is, no, you can't control the HERO while using the Timer View.

But there is good news around the corner: LapTimer v20 will allow background recording using the internal cam (i.e. Timer View + internal video) and it will allow "external only" mode video recording - again, with Timer View active. All you need is some patience: https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer ... =3&theater

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

Thanks Harry!
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

I had my first track session at Sears Point yesterday. Unfortunately HLT did not connect to the GoPro. I didn't know this until I checked the footage. There was nothing. It recorded from the phone camera as it did before but the phone was pointed the wrong way.

In any event, the implementation of the GoPro connectivity to hlt is very difficult to use, if not impossible. I hope v20 is more user friendly.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for any recommendation how a better integration would look like. Please check Video Documentation available on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for step by step and background information.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
RYU-NSX
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RYU-NSX »

The Hero4 Silver is set to GoProApp
HLT Version is 21.0.1

It's track season again and I still cannot connect my Hero4 Silver to HLT. Please help.

In the VIDEO OPERATION screen it still cannot find the external cam.

My Nexus 5x is connected to the Hero4 Silver Wifi

These are my HLT camera settings

The native GoPro app is shut down (not uninstalled) on the Nexus 5x

Please help! Thanks