Garmin GLO

This forum covers all topics on Harry's GPS Buddy
Sportbiker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Garmin GLO

Post by Sportbiker »

I'm in the midst of checking this app out so that I can feel comfortable investing in LapTimer for my sportbike track days.

I asked for and got a Garmin GLO for Christmas to improve the sensitivity of whatever device on which I use a laptimer based on your external GPS recommendations page (thanks!). The GLO connects fine to my iPhone 4 (as well as my 'driod). When I installed this app, the GLO is not appearing in Administration -> Sensor List. Is this a limitation of this particular free app? Can I be assured it will be picked up by Laptimer Rookie or Petrolhead?

For now I'm trying to avoid investing in a higher powered device but recognize when I want to incorporate my GoPro's wirelessly it may be necessary.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin GLO

Post by Harry »

Please check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios:
As introduced above, Mfi devices not mentioned in the list are not directly integrated into LapTimer and are not recommended. We add direct integration for all devices we get support by the manufacturer. Please contact the manufacturer in case you want to use their devices for any reason. The following Mfi devices are not recommended due to missing support: Bad Elf (all devices), Garmin Glo, GNS (all devices).
The named manufacturers do not provide a 3rd party integration option and feed their data into iOS's location stack. This means LapTimer cannot identify the GPS source and displays "iPhone GNSS" as the GPS source. You will see an update rate >1Hz for such devices - which is the best indicator to verify the data is actually better than the standard GPS. But you will not get the extra accuracy possible and additional data like the satellites almanac.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sportbiker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sportbiker »

Thanks for reminding me, I had already read that long ago :(

I realize now when it didn't "plug-and-play" with my LG D500 I just figured I would borrow an iOS device in the house, not remembering the limitation on that platform with this external. Did a bunch of reading and finally found a way to get the GLO working with my LG via Bluetooth GPS app (https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... cale=en_US); kloogie. Now have to find a free 'droid app that will give me the same insights I was after to start with.
Sportbiker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sportbiker »

Hey, Harry, sorry to bump such an old thread but it seems to fit with its contents.

I got an iPhone 6s to use on my S1000RR on the track since it is "disposable." Having done some reading I see the Garmin Glo is iOS-restricted since you can't direct-access the Glo on that platform. I'd like to try out the combo and so wonder if you offer any apps which I can try out to see what kind of rate I'm getting on it without having to pay up-front. Maybe something with a trial license? Its hard to know if I should buy the iOS version of GP too without know whether the GPS rate is acceptable. Advice?

PS: I'm back because my Android experience was awesome, love the app!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Please download "Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy". It uses the same sensor framework like LapTimer and can be downloaded for free.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sportbiker
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sportbiker »

Thanks, just what I needed. Results.

iPhone 6s
phone's rate: 1-2 Hz
Garmin Glo (original) rate: 4 Hz

iPhone 7
phone's rate: 1-2 Hz
Garmin Glo (original) rate: 4 Hz
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, this is what I measured for the first Glo version too. Maybe someone can share information on the current Glo 2 version.
The internal GPS always delivers 1 Hz. 2 Hz can show up shortly due to runtime effects, but this will be very rare and isn't what is actually delivered.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jt2002
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jt2002 »

i'm getting 3hz on an iphone 12 pro connected to the garmin glo 2