Confused about low memory on data overlay

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Hi,

I have a 16 minute video recorded as a single lap. I deleted the internally recorded video from the phone and loaded a converted GoPro video to overlay instead. The GoPro video is 606mb. When I try to overlay the video it says I'm missing 2gb. There is currently 4.2gb free on the phone. Shouldn't it have plenty of space to overlay a 606mb file?
Last edited by Chad-1stgen on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confused about low memor on data overlay

Post by Harry »

Android or iOS?
Image Image Image Image
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Confused about low memor on data overlay

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Sorry Iphone 5s
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

FullHD Videos encoded by iOS require 190 MB per minute. This is independent from the compression applied to the original video (GoPro or your conversion seems to compress the video pretty strong here... I hope its quality is acceptable). The rest is the standard math: 16 times 190 is approximately 3 GB. This means (in case it is fully overlaid) you will need 3 GB for the result and additionally 3 GB during transfer to the Photo app.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confused about low memory on data overlay

Post by Harry »

PS Instead of overcompressing the original video, please consider scaling it to HD. This will require 80 MB per minute instead of the 190 MB named.
Image Image Image Image