New User, Dumb Question

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
inelson
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

New User, Dumb Question

Post by inelson »

I am going to purchase the HLT Grand Prix. I have an iPhone 5 with only 3 gig of memory, but I also have an iPad Air 2 with 70 gigs of memory. No matter which I use, I am going to hook up an external GPS, OBD II and GoPro Hero 4. My question is, because I want to use my ipad since it has more memory, where do I put my ipad in the car. I'm not concerned with the video from the ipad just the GoPro. I don't want to mount it anywhere because of it's size. Can i just put it on the floorboard or does all of the devices you are using in multicam mode have to be mounted? Do you have any suggestions?

FYI... I am going to be running several laps at COTA in Austin so that is why I am concerned with memory.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New User, Dumb Question

Post by Harry »

Hi, iPads actually make good lap timers when equipped with an external GPS. Digits are so big you can really see them while driving :-) I'd suggest to mount it somewhere at your center console - maybe in a way you can record yourself. Switch to SD and front cam for the internal cam when using the HERO as the master video. As you will not mount the iPad in a way covered by one of the acceleration preset, please switch LapTimer's acceleration setting to Individual too. Please don't place the iPad flat and at least make sure it cannot fly around.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
olwe
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by olwe »

I have an iPad 3 mini wifi running 9.01 which I have used successfully getting good video overlays with an XGPS 150A (bluetooth) and a wifi ODBII sensor. Love the result.

I now want to add a GoPro Hero 4 for my next session on Daytona. However, I cannot find your multicam app for my iPad; only for iPhone. Also, will the Hero 4 require the wifi, or will it operate via bluetooth (my wifi is already used for the ODBII sensor)?

Pls send me to detailed instructions as I have spoent a few hours without luck.

TIA,
Ola
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is no MultiCam app for iPads, but you should be able to use the iPhone version.

All external cams are connected using WiFi. The GoPro H4 is using BT for connection making and keeping only currently, all the commands are exchanged using WiFi. This means you either need to exchange your OBD adapter or you need to record footage with the HERO manually. All the details are described in Video Documentation available on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation

Harry
Image Image Image Image
inergo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by inergo »

Good day everybody!

I have an iphone-5 and xgps150a (last firmware), so the question is: can i use Laptimer Grand Prix to do one thing - save a 5Hz track in gpx file to the email or PC?
Any over app i use allow me to save only 1Hz track file :(

Thanks a lot!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

inergo wrote:Good day everybody!

I have an iphone-5 and xgps150a (last firmware), so the question is: can i use Laptimer Grand Prix to do one thing - save a 5Hz track in gpx file to the email or PC?
Any over app i use allow me to save only 1Hz track file :(

Thanks a lot!
Should work. You can record laps at 4 ors 5 Hz using the XGPS150 (4 or 5 depends on the chip set used). Data is stored in LapTimer. Once this is done, export data to GPX (or whatever format needed), it will be exported at recording rate.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

P.S. Please take care you have the 5 Hz firmware installed. Dual provided a special version for LapTimer.

http://gps.dualav.com/firmware/xgps150/
Image Image Image Image