2011 BMW E92 M3 missing Engine Params

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
redpriest
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

2011 BMW E92 M3 missing Engine Params

Post by redpriest »

Hi, I just picked up the Grand Prix version of the app in preparation for a track day this Friday and while poking around with the Automatic OBD II tool recommended, I noticed some of the realtime data wasn't showing and wanted some help troubleshooting it. I've done some searching around to see if anyone encountered the same problem and saw that BMWs are somewhat problematic.

Specifically, the following is missing and I would love to have:
- Throttle; I fiddled around with each of the Throttle alternative settings to see if throttle would show, and didn't see it change.
- Torque; my understanding is that the 0104 PID calcload is where this can be derived from in conjunction with the values set on your car info. This is probably wrong :)

The firmware on the Automatic OBD2 adapter was updated when I first got it.

Here's a snapshot of the sensor information:

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2011 BMW E92 M3 missing Engine Params

Post by Harry »

It seem for your car none of the throttle related PIDs 0x11, 0x47, 0x48, 0x49, 0x4a, 0x4b is available through the Automatic adapter. Usually Position D works for BMWs (0x49). You need to contact Automatic on this item please, it is retrieved or filters by their firmware. But I'm sure they can make it working in an upcoming update.

For torque calculation any throttle PIDs need to be available. It will by zero otherwise. The CALCLOAD PID is not used by LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Accessories / OBD]
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Make sure to get into the Alpha program for Automatic. Email support@automatic.com to get in the group.

I'm more and more impressed with their support of the product for trackers like us!
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

The 0.97 firmware you have does not support all Mode 1 PIDs, must be at 0.98 or above (I'm at like 0.106 lol)
redpriest
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by redpriest »

Thanks for the suggestion - I managed to weasel my way into getting the .99 update just in time for my HPDE (fantastic support), but on the next day the .108 update was pushed down and that broke my refresh rate. Wasn't able to get the logging process working with the buddy app because of broken redirect. I'll try to get some logging this next week.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The buddy authorization has been fixed yesterday evening, it should work now.

Harry
Image Image Image Image