[SOLVED] Two final drive ratios

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
snowfree52
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

[SOLVED] Two final drive ratios

Post by snowfree52 »

One of my cars is a golf and it seems there are two differents drive ratios by gearbox :

one for 1, 2, 3 and 4th gear
a second for 5 et 6th

I wonder how is that possible and if there is a way to implement that in the laptimer ?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Two final drive ratios

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Frequent question. To map this, simply calculate the full ratio (drive + gear) for each gear and enter these value for the gear ratio. In addition, set the drive ratio to 1.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
snowfree52
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by snowfree52 »

Thank you very much

Since I found the "how to" by myself :

formula is: (final drive ratio * gear ratio) /2

and put 2 as the final drive (because the app doesn't accept more than 10 as gear ratio ;)

edit : I have a problem :

since I have a car with the max power at low RPM, the app gives me max speeds that are way too slow (for 6th speed there is a 45kmh difference) :(
fluppie00
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by fluppie00 »

I've driven a Audi S3 for a week, this car has also 2 drive ratios, I recalculated the drive ratios like this:

I've multiplied all the gear ratios with the final drive ratio and then the results from 5th and 6th I divided by 4.24.
Like this I calculated the 5th and 6th for a 4.24 final drive ( The 'real' final drive in 5th and 6th is 3.27 ). Should work fine !

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

snowfree52 wrote:edit : I have a problem :

since I have a car with the max power at low RPM, the app gives me max speeds that are way too slow (for 6th speed there is a 45kmh difference) :(
HI again,

max is calculated for the rpm max power is developed. You need to read is exactly like this. With the data given, it is not possible to calculate max speeds for every configuration available in the market. To achieve this, I'd need to add a sketch pad to draw any picture :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
snowfree52
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by snowfree52 »

@fluppie00 : thank you.

@harry : should I put the max power at max RPM then ? does it affect the way the app records laptimes of anything else ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the documentation for more information on these settings: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/User_Interface.html (search for 'OBD Information'). It is mainly used to calculate the current gear from speed and rpms.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image